Can I use this substrate with panda Cory catfish ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Solkmonk

Reaction score
Hey y’all ! New to this hobby I currently have Cory cat fish with glo fish gravel and have learned that’s too rough for them, but it this gravel okay? Or should I look toward something else ? I also have tetra and barb in that tank thank you!
image.jpg

It looks fine enough to me shouldn’t damage them

Can you get play sand? Cories filter sand through their gills to find food. Play sand is popular among Cory owners as it is soft and fine enough for filter feeders.

Is that gravel white? Even if it's grey it looks very light in colour and fish prefer a darker substrate. Few fish have evolved over very light substrates - that's why they are dark coloured when you look down on them, so they blend in with the bottom of the river/lake and birds can't see them as easily.

You should get smooth sand for Corycats, as Naughts mentioned. In addition to a Corycat's feeding habits working best with sand, Corycats are more prone to barbel infections if kept on gravel. I have Super Naturals Aquarium Sand and it works well. You want a smooth sand so it doesn't damage their barbels or scaleless tummies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back