Can i use external filter that has tank water in in two week now?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Rigging up my tank again and want to know if I can use my external filter that has been switched off about two weeks now. I had a powr cut two weeks ago lost all my fish removed filter but left it soaking in water.

I would not recommend using a filter that's been sitting for 2 weeks with water. You're going to want to clean that filter out before you use it because that water is going to be stagnant and who knows what it's going to do your tank. Just empty the filter of all water and rinse your media in either a bucket full your tanks water, or in tap water that has been conditioned to remove any chlorines or chloramines. Set your filter back up and then you should be good to go.

I would not recommend using a filter that's been sitting for 2 weeks with water. You're going to want to clean that filter out before you use it because that water is going to be stagnant and who knows what it's going to do your tank. Just empty the filter of all water and rinse your media in either a bucket full your tanks water, or in tap water that has been conditioned to remove any chlorines or chloramines. Set your filter back up and then you should be good to go.
Okay and what about my tropica soil?

Where is your soil right now? If it's sitting in your tank with water in it you should probably be okay doing a big water change and trying to clean through the soil and then refilling the tank and conditioning the water. If your soil is just sitting stagnant in a bucket you could try to reuse it by rinsing it off but the soil may just disintegrate on you.

Where is your soil right now? If it's sitting in your tank with water in it you should probably be okay doing a big water change and trying to clean through the soil and then refilling the tank and conditioning the water. If your soil is just sitting stagnant in a bucket you could try to reuse it by rinsing it off but the soil may just disintegrate on you.
It was in a bucket. I put tights around the top of bucket and ran the shower over it. After a half hour I tipped out the water and ran the shower over it again. It didn't disintergrate

Most reactions

Back