Can I Use Beach Sand?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BigFish01

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was wondering, can I use beach sand for my substrate? I dont live very far from lake michigan and theres always an abundance of sand available for free. Just wondering if it would be safe. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

Tony

hmm not sure, is it a saltwater lake? if not you might be able to boil it to kill germs and other nasties.

At 3 quid a 15kg bag for play sand why on earth would you risk it ???

I have read some bad opinions on play sand and I thought maybe beach sand would be a safer choice. Sounds like more work than necessary so I will just have to go with play sand when i'm ready. Thanks for your help.

Oh and its a freshwater lake krazyKuhli.

Just looked it up its only $4 for a 50lb bag. So thats not too bad. It is safe though? after rinsing and rinsing it?

Play sand is by far the most popular choice among the members here :) I'd go for the playsand. Like Cynic says, why risk bringing in bad bacteria when you can play it safe for just a few dollars. :) just make sure to give it a few good rinses to avoid making the water really cloudy.

I wouldn't risk beach sand, you don't know what nasties it might have in it.
I have play sand in my tanks, & tbh it looks good to start with, but it is developing dark patches which don't smell too good.
I might change to more expensive proper aquarium sand, the saying you get what you pay for comes to mind

I know I keep harping on about this, but Caribseas live sand is great. Looks good, comes in a multitude of colours and sizes, cycles quick and does not require cleaning. Only down side is the price, but that was something I can put up with for not having to clean it alone. Can put pics on of water whilst filling if required

I know I keep harping on about this, but Caribseas live sand is great. Looks good, comes in a multitude of colours and sizes, cycles quick and does not require cleaning. Only down side is the price, but that was something I can put up with for not having to clean it alone. Can put pics on of water whilst filling if required

I've always hear that it a load of crock

FishFreak95 said:
Tonyb111111 said:

I've always hear that it a load of crock

There a lot of conflicting opinions to wade through, but for me it worked great and I will be buying more for my next tank. Though I do appreciate the price is the main drawback. In the UK I notice a lot of places are doing a buy one get one free offer, so I am guessing that they are starting to realise the price is too high. Good luck with whatever you choose :)

Well, in the UK it is illegal to take quantity of sand or stones etc. from the shore or forest however it may be different in the US.

As previously suggested though I cannot even see why the risk would be taken as the cost of sand is so minimal!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back