Can I put endler guppies in this tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CraigDalton

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 60 litre rectangular tank and currently it has 12 neon tetras and 1 male crowntail betta, also there is 6 peppered corydoras.

Questim is, would it be okay to put 6 or 8 endler guppies in this tank along with what currently is in it?

Any information would be great.

Thanks

no, they need different hardness levels and ph. bettas and tetras need low and guppies need high ph and hardness. also that will be too much for your tank i think. correct me if im wrong

Hi there,

Thanks very much for the information! Much appreciated.

Also regarding the second post, I thought I had deleted this one accidentally so I reposted it again but turns out it wasnt deleted

I am interested to know more details too since I want to add endlers in my 70L(18gal) tank that currently has 90+ cherry shrimp nerite snails and a betta. I keep hardness around 7.5 and ph ranges from 7-7.2. The betta is doing great in there so far (rescued from a pet store a month ago) but is always good to learn more since from what I have researched so far opinions vary a lot, I would assume it has a lot to do with what water they have been bred and kept in so far too.

It isn't recommended to keep a betta fish in a community set up. They are aggressive, solitary fish. In the long run, they can become stressed to death or randomly snap and kill all of their tank mates.

I 100% appreciate everyones opinion and totally respect them but I'd like to add that I've had my betta with his tank mates for a while now and I would still class myself as a beginner to the hobby but my betta is happy and doesn't worry about the others what's so ever, in fact they swim side by side one another in harmony.

I totally get what is said about the water hardness and that the endlers prefer the harder waters however another reputable source (aquarium coop) has stated that endlers ideally would like hard water but it isn't really 100% necessary so I'm not just sure what to think myself.

I 100% appreciate everyones opinion and totally respect them but I'd like to add that I've had my betta with his tank mates for a while now and I would still class myself as a beginner to the hobby but my betta is happy and doesn't worry about the others what's so ever, in fact they swim side by side one another in harmony.

I totally get what is said about the water hardness and that the endlers prefer the harder waters however another reputable source (aquarium coop) has stated that endlers ideally would like hard water but it isn't really 100% necessary so I'm not just sure what to think myself.
Aquarium Coop also promote over feeding and not changing water

I get what what you're saying, fish can't talk so you can only take what you see from them. I know that plenty of people try tank mates with their bettas, although not many make it past the year mark.

We tend to think that because the betta doesn't kill everything in the tank within 5 minutes that he's "happy" and has a calm temperament. Long term, it doesn't work

I will have to be sure to keep an eye on him and if I see any signs of him attacking the others I will be sure to remove him

I have a backup tank ready for him in case he goes on a killing spree but so far he is very laid back and doesn't bother the shrimp and I've seen him flare 2 or 3 times with his reflection (not gonna deny, the first two days he ate a few but now he pretty much ignores them). I wanted to add some chilli rasboras but I don't know if I will be able to find any that easily around my area. The next thing was guppies but this might cause issues because of their tails. Endlers are less fancy so I thought they will do well with shrimp and the betta.

Full disclosure, I've not tried Endler's with a betta. I will say the Endler's do pick at everything. I do not know if that means they will pester a betta or not. One thing to know about them is that at least in groups they go into feeding frenzies when food is put in. Youy could control that by just adding a limited number of males of course.

I don't think my shrimp get much food with the Endler's in there, but the shrimp seem to persist fine on the algae so I don't worry. But I wonder if they would compete with a betta strongly at feeding time? I will say the Endler's don't seem to bother the adult shrimp directly, or at least stopped bothering them after the first couple days. There are young shrimp in there, so at least a few of the baby shrimp make it with the Endler's in the same tank with them - but I have to think some of the baby shrimp get picked off.

My Endler's seems pretty insensitive to pH. I wouldn't panic over that. My pH tends to move up, but they've been in soft-water situations with me before and there has been no appreciable difference. I've had them with cardinal tetras in the past. They did well together.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back