Can I put Corydora in my tank when I have a soil / dirt substrate?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Your observation in post #11 tally with mine, and the accepted "knowledge" of the hobby. It has been noted by several advocates of "soil" substrates that the benefit is in the first year, namely the CO2 and ammonia produced by the decomposition of organics in the soil. After roughly 12 months, these people tend to agree that any inert substrate such as sand will be as good--Diana Walstad even states this in some of her articles.

The problem with this initial production of ammonia and CO2 is the effect on the fish. Which is why so many of these people recommend a dry start, and no fish in the tank for six months. This allows the tank to stabilize. Given that thereafter you are really no better off plant-wise than with sand, it rather proves why this is more of a problem than benefit.

Flourite nearly killed my group of cories, and within just a couple days. When I saw bleeding mouths I removed them to a tank with play sand, and they fortunately recovered, and I still have them some 8-9 years later.
Thanks Byron.

As I mentioned in my reply (#15), I really just have to plead ignorance lol :)

The soil seemed like a good idea at the time because I got excited about having a planted tank. The Aquarium employee sold me some power sand to put under the soil so I didn't have to do a complete clean out after a year, but I never really researched what would happen after that (He told me that the sand would be too fine for the plants to grow through well enough). I guess being new to the hobby I just sort of accepted it as gospel.

I didn't put any fish in the tank at the beginning and waited for it to stabilise for a few months but lately, starting to realise the difficulties that come along with not being able to do a gravel vacuum and realising that a lot of 'tank cleaning' fish aren't compatible with the aqua soil, so I definitely wish I did more research before jumping in, but I guess that the trial and error is half of the fun haha.

Anyways I definitely appreciate all the help, I for sure need it :)

Last edited:
Thanks Byron.

As I mentioned in my reply (#15), I really just have to plead ignorance lol :)

The soil seemed like a good idea at the time because I got excited about having a planted tank. The Aquarium employee sold me some power sand to put under the soil so I didn't have to do a complete clean out after a year, but I never really researched what would happen after that (He told me that the sand would be too fine for the plants to grow through well enough). I guess being new to the hobby I just sort of accepted it as gospel.

I didn't put any fish in the tank at the beginning and waited for it to stabilise for a few months but lately, starting to realise the difficulties that come along with not being able to do a gravel vacuum and realising that a lot of 'tank cleaning' fish aren't compatible with the aqua soil, so I definitely wish I did more research before jumping in, but I guess that the trial and error is half of the fun haha.

Anyways I definitely appreciate all the help, I for sure need it :)

We all have learned this or that over time. I was "persuaded" (by I am sure well-meaning members on another forum) to use a "plant" substrate some years ago, so I gave in. I honestly did not see a significant improvement in the plants over time, but within one week I had to remove my cories because their mouths were bleeding from the coarseness (yet in my hand, it felt smooth). After two years I got fed up and tore the tank down and dumped the substrate in the corner of the back garden, and bought a bag of Quikrete Play Sand to re-scape the tank. Like most hobbies, this one is full of manufacturers telling us we "need" this or that in order to have success...most of it is just nonsense.

I need to mention that other Australian members have reported in the past that play sand in Australia is not like the play sand in other countries. The other members have commented that Australian play sand is quite sharp with bits which look like broken shells. Just something to be aware of when members recommend play sand as you may need to use a different type of sand.

I need to mention that other Australian members have reported in the past that play sand in Australia is not like the play sand in other countries. The other members have commented that Australian play sand is quite sharp with bits which look like broken shells. Just something to be aware of when members recommend play sand as you may need to use a different type of sand.
Very true. I saw some at the store and looked very jagged and sharp, definitely not ideal for the the fish.

My only defence for choosing soil at the time was ignorance, and I guess I got overly excited about a planted tank and wasn't focusing too much on the fish. I will definitely consider all this with my next tank. :)
You do the best you can with with information and resources you have. No defense required in my opinion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back