Can I make a walstad set up in a 1/4-1/2 gallon jar??

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Crypt parva would do well and shrimp would love some eleocharis mini.. might need a light shining on it though..

Crypt parva would do well and shrimp would love some eleocharis mini.. might need a light shining on it though..
Both great ideas! Iā€™m planning on ordering a light, just gotta figure out how to attach it! Iā€™m mostly looking at stuff I can get locally.. if I canā€™t find some good ones around me Iā€™ll get some Crypt parva :)

Both great ideas! Iā€™m planning on ordering a light, just gotta figure out how to attach it! Iā€™m mostly looking at stuff I can get locally.. if I canā€™t find some good ones around me Iā€™ll get some Crypt parva :)
Maybe just have a desk lamp over the top? Or a fancy Anglepoise!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The kelvin rating is a bit high on that, you'll end up with a load of algae. Its also a bit ugly? If you consider the aesthetics of a pretty gallon jar, I think a minimalist desklamp with a 6500K 'daylight' bulb would look good and do the trick?
Fair point, it doesnā€™t look great. Any particular lamps you use that are full spectrum? Iā€™ve noticed a huge difference in growth using a full spectrum light.

Edit: Iā€™m not very good with lighting. Just searched it up and it seems like 6500K is considered full spectrum? What about this light?https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QFWD274/?tag=ff0d01-20

Last edited:
Fair point, it doesnā€™t look great. Any particular lamps you use that are full spectrum? Iā€™ve noticed a huge difference in growth using a full spectrum light.

Edit: Iā€™m not very good with lighting. Just searched it up and it seems like 6500K is considered full spectrum? What about this light?https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QFWD274/?tag=ff0d01-20
I like it! Looks ideal :good:

Kelvin rating measures the colour intensity of the light, 10k being cold white (blue) and 1k warm white (red)
Daylight sits at around 6500K and therefore has a bit of everything (full spectrum), but at a lower intensity.
Plants need mostly red, blue and green light for photosynthesis. More red than blue. So that light you've linked there looks great to me

I like it! Looks ideal :good:

Kelvin rating measures the colour intensity of the light, 10k being cold white (blue) and 1k warm white (red)
Daylight sits at around 6500K and therefore has a bit of everything (full spectrum), but at a lower intensity.
Plants need mostly red, blue and green light for photosynthesis. More red than blue. So that light you've linked there looks great to me
Perfect! Iā€™ll go ahead and get that, then I might start out with an anubias or some salvinia minima, depending on what my LFS has. Oh, one last question. So, I have an air stone for the tank but will I need a heater? Iā€™m not sure if itā€™ll be safe to try and heat such a small bowl so Iā€™m planning on no heater.

Perfect! Iā€™ll go ahead and get that, then I might start out with an anubias or some salvinia minima, depending on what my LFS has. Oh, one last question. So, I have an air stone for the tank but will I need a heater? Iā€™m not sure if itā€™ll be safe to try and heat such a small bowl so Iā€™m planning on no heater.
Depends on what you're putting in (shrimp was it? Red Cherry are ok down to 18C) and what the ambient temp of the room is. You could reconsider the lamp if its not too late, and get an incandescent which will throw some heat out

Depends on what you're putting in (shrimp was it? Red Cherry are ok down to 18C) and what the ambient temp of the room is. You could reconsider the lamp if its not too late, and get an incandescent which will throw some heat out
The coldest it should get is around 68-70. Itā€™s not too late but I would like to get plants on Friday so Iā€™ll most likely order today. And the stocking should be mts and cherry shrimp :)

If you like micro projects like this, you might also enjoy the YT channel, Life in Jars. I've had one going for about 6 months. Totally closed system. Pretty neat stuff. I use the Walstadt method in a 5G and think what you've show is looking great. Another YT fellow has a channel called Foo the Flowerhorn, and he has several jars like you've done.

If you like micro projects like this, you might also enjoy the YT channel, Life in Jars. I've had one going for about 6 months. Totally closed system. Pretty neat stuff. I use the Walstadt method in a 5G and think what you've show is looking great. Another YT fellow has a channel called Foo the Flowerhorn, and he has several jars like you've done.
Thanks for the suggestions! Iā€™ll check them out!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back