Can i keep different kinds of neons to school together?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Pkr

Reaction score
Okay so after having major agression issues with my 6 neon tetras ive decided to size up my tank a bit and add some more, i wanted to know if i could add say a PAIR EACH of green neon, albino neon, and golden neon. Would it matter to them or would they be happy considering it the same thing, since technically theyre just different coloured neons?

I think it really depends on what you like the most. I've found that pure bred neons are a bit less susceptible to cottonmouth (which is a deformity in the mouth, the fish will die in a month or two because of it's lack of being able to eat). However, this is from personal experience. I have a few neons in with some guppy fry that are farm bred neons, however my sister has diamond neons and 4 out of the 5 she got have had deformitys in the mouth and body.

Okay so after having major agression issues with my 6 neon tetras ive decided to size up my tank a bit and add some more, i wanted to know if i could add say a PAIR EACH of green neon, albino neon, and golden neon. Would it matter to them or would they be happy considering it the same thing, since technically theyre just different coloured neons?
Iā€™m not sure .. I know schooling fish school to deter or confuse predators , if every fish looks the same itā€™s easier for them to confuse . In a tank situation I wouldnā€™t of though it would make a difference but from your last post Iā€™m assuming you want more to spread aggression so I would get all the same because daft as it sound the fish will know lol

Reactions: Pkr
Iā€™m not sure .. I know schooling fish school to deter or confuse predators , if every fish looks the same itā€™s easier for them to confuse . In a tank situation I wouldnā€™t of though it would make a difference but from your last post Iā€™m assuming you want more to spread aggression so I would get all the same because daft as it sound the fish will kn

Iā€™m not sure .. I know schooling fish school to deter or confuse predators , if every fish looks the same itā€™s easier for them to confuse . In a tank situation I wouldnā€™t of though it would make a difference but from your last post Iā€™m assuming you want more to spread aggression so I would get all the same because daft as it sound the fish will know lol
Damn cant fool them neons eh ? gosh if im doing an upgrade id liked to have been able to have some more colours in there as well but maybe i cant after all.

Standard neons are Paracheirodon innesi. If the albino neons are the albino versions of P. innesi they are the same species, so they are OK. Google tells me that golden neons are yet another variety of standard neons, P. innesi, so they'd be OK as well. Apparently, there are also diamond neon tetras (not diamond tetras) and long finned neons as well. Since all these are the same species, they should see each other as the same shoal.

But green neons are a different species, Paracheirodon simulans, which would need a group of their own species. These fish are more closely related to cardinal tetras than neon tetras.

Standard neons are Paracheirodon innesi. If the albino neons are the albino versions of P. innesi they are the same species, so they are OK. Google tells me that golden neons are yet another variety of standard neons, P. innesi, so they'd be OK as well. Apparently, there are also diamond neon tetras (not diamond tetras) and long finned neons as well. Since all these are the same species, they should see each other as the same shoal.

But green neons are a different species, Paracheirodon simulans, which would need a group of their own species. These fish are more closely related to cardinal tetras than neon tetras.
Makes sense, unfortunately for me this is going to a trial and error method of finding out i guess unless someones done this, but as per what you say it does make sense theoretically

They can school together. Shouldn't be a problem to keep them together.

Reactions: Pkr

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back