Can I keep Cory with small gravel?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GreenGuy

Reaction score
I have heard they prefer sand, but I have pretty small gravel
1623727131485.png

(photo taken before filling tank)

There is group of people here that say they should only be kept on sand. But I have never kept Cory's on sand, and have successfully bred them. Small gravel should be fine for them.
Yes
Though i heard they prefer sand, it is possible

As itiwhetu states, many people on this forum believe they should only be kept on sand substrate. However I have found that they can be kept on gravel (happily) so long as it is smooth and doesn't have any sharp edges that can damage their barbels and other factors in their care is ideal (lots of hiding spots, live plants, good food, other cories to socialize with). The gravel also needs to be kept clean with frequent gravel vacuuming since it can harbor debris. All that said they would probably prefer sand if given the choice.

I have heard they prefer sand, but I have pretty small gravel
View attachment 138495
(photo taken before filling tank)
Yes you can keep them in gravel. Youtube channel “aquarium co op” has visited the place where cory catfish live and To surprise its actually really rocking similar to aquarium gravel with no sand. I also use gravel in my tank with no problems. Ive had my cory catfish for a long time.

I would not keep Corydoras on substrate with that big of grain, it’s just to big. There would be no way for them to successfully filter feed.

I don't think Cory's are filter feeders. They use their barbels to dislodge pieces of food from between stones and rocks and then they eat what they dislodge, usually crustaceans and the like. I am not sure where the idea of filter feeding came from, but it is mentioned a lot on this site.

I don't think Cory's are filter feeders. They use their barbels to dislodge pieces of food from between stones and rocks and then they eat what they dislodge, usually crustaceans and the like. I am not sure where the idea of filter feeding came from, but it is mentioned a lot on this site.
They will take a mouthful of sand in their mouth, sort of the food, and the spit the sand/debris out their gill slit.

It technically isn't filter feeding, but it's the term I've learned.

They will take a mouthful of sand in their mouth, sort of the food, and the spit the sand/debris out their gill slit.

It technically isn't filter feeding, but it's the term I've learned.
If their is no sand they will flick the pieces of food out and consume them, both ways happy little fish.

Actually, the wrong question was asked in the thread title...the issue really is not if one "can" keep them on gravel, but should one. Putting the best interests of the fish first.

It is also impossible from the photo to know the actual grain size, as we don't have a scale. But if the grain size is larger than river sand to the extent that the fish cannot filter feed, then it is completely inappropriate. And all species of Corydoras are filter feeders because this is programmed into their DNA. Sand is frequently found in the gut of Corydoras fish, according to Ian Fuller; "Also complete bodies of ants termites and a host of other similar creatures. I am pretty sure the sand aids the breakdown of these animals."

Some members here respect Ian Fuller as one of the foremost Corydoradinae authorities. A new described species was recently named in his honour, Corydoras fullerii Tencatt, Santos, Evers & Britto 2021. Following are direct citations from Ian [no idea how to copy over videos, sorry].

May 28 "OK folks. With all the discussion about substrate. This is a video clip of a C. ornatus feeding on tubifex in the sand substrate. If the substrate particle are too large to be able to be taken up by mouth and ejected out through the rear of the gill cover then it is not suitable.
To avoid posts from inadvertently encouraging the use of inappropriate substrate, post with images showing anything other than fine smooth grained sand will not be accepted.
The same will apply to any posts defending the use inappropriate substrates. in both this and its sister group Corydorasworld Members Group page.
Ian"
Later in the same thread:
"It seems my advice was not headed and my delete button is found to be working very well."

May 31 "This will not be everyones cup of tea, but it bothers me not one iota. As of now pictures of Corydoras over inappropriate substrate will be rejected.
Our message to people wanting to keep and even breed Corydoradinae Catfishes is to do the right thing and provide what is the right substrate for their Corys, "Natural Sand"

Actually, the wrong question was asked in the thread title...the issue really is not if one "can" keep them on gravel, but should one. Putting the best interests of the fish first.

It is also impossible from the photo to know the actual grain size, as we don't have a scale. But if the grain size is larger than river sand to the extent that the fish cannot filter feed, then it is completely inappropriate. And all species of Corydoras are filter feeders because this is programmed into their DNA. Sand is frequently found in the gut of Corydoras fish, according to Ian Fuller; "Also complete bodies of ants termites and a host of other similar creatures. I am pretty sure the sand aids the breakdown of these animals."

Some members here respect Ian Fuller as one of the foremost Corydoradinae authorities. A new described species was recently named in his honour, Corydoras fullerii Tencatt, Santos, Evers & Britto 2021. Following are direct citations from Ian [no idea how to copy over videos, sorry].

May 28 "OK folks. With all the discussion about substrate. This is a video clip of a C. ornatus feeding on tubifex in the sand substrate. If the substrate particle are too large to be able to be taken up by mouth and ejected out through the rear of the gill cover then it is not suitable.
To avoid posts from inadvertently encouraging the use of inappropriate substrate, post with images showing anything other than fine smooth grained sand will not be accepted.
The same will apply to any posts defending the use inappropriate substrates. in both this and its sister group Corydorasworld Members Group page.
Ian"
Later in the same thread:
"It seems my advice was not headed and my delete button is found to be working very well."

May 31 "This will not be everyones cup of tea, but it bothers me not one iota. As of now pictures of Corydoras over inappropriate substrate will be rejected.
Our message to people wanting to keep and even breed Corydoradinae Catfishes is to do the right thing and provide what is the right substrate for their Corys, "Natural Sand"
I think its only slightly larger then river sand, so it should be ok?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back