Can I alter my existing LED?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

xxamyxx85

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,

My led creates quite a harsh white light, I have turned it to face the rear of the top cover but then it doesn’t complement the fish, tank or decorations. The light fitting runs down through the wall with access to turn it off via a cupboard below, so trying to remove it and replace with a new one is not going to happen..... can I paint my existing light? What paint can I use? Will enough light show through? Are there any alternatives? Or maybe a permanent marker? or would it contaminate my tank over time? I had a small blue clip on my previous tank light which looked great but doesn’t fit the new one and I can find anything similar online. Your suggestions and advice is much appreciated.

I used one of these to deal with a similar situation https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K6H6CB5/?tag= - in this tank I have dimmed the light to 45% and it looks great now.
I actually have one on 2 of my tanks as it is also good as a timer and has a sunrise / sunset feature. Just check if you have a connector plug between your power supply and the lights. Both of my lights connected straight in, but they also supply an adapter cable - so the 2 most common size plugs are accommodated.

Another good option is floating plants such as frogbit or water sprite.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For me the quickest solution is by using colourful gift plastic wrappers(those transparent that can see through) to wrap it around the LED and tape it.
If you wrap more turns/layers, the light will become dimmer. But I think Seangee solution is good.

I like especially blue light that gives nice effect on the fish colour but it also depend on the fish colours that you have.
Some may use red or you can combined blue and red by dividing it into half, which mean half the length of the LED is covered by each colour.
At my place, I usually buy a small roll of the gift wrappers for $1-$2.

Last edited:
For me the quickest solution is by using colourful gift plastic wrappers(those transparent that can see through) to wrap it around the LED and tape it.
If you wrap more turns/layers, the light will become dimmer. But I think Seangee solution is good.

I like especially blue light that gives nice effect on the fish colour but it also depend on the fish colours that you have.
Some may use red or you can combined blue and red by dividing it into half, which mean half the length of the LED is covered by each colour.
At my place, I usually buy a small roll of the gift wrappers for $1-$2.
This is a great idea, thank you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back