Can I add more creatures (shrimp,snails, etc)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishkeeperGuat

Reaction score
I have a newly established 10 gallon tank which has a couple live plants and 3 neon tetras, with 2 red wag swordtails. I am looking to add either another fish or another non- fish creature but I’m not sure if I have enough space for them. Forgot to mention before but I also have 14 swordtail fry in a breeding box in the tank. They were born recently and I don’t know what I’m going to do with them either at the moment. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

----------------------
Depending on what the GH of your water is will determine what fish you should keep. Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm).

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH.

----------------------
Tetras also need to be kept in groups of 10 or more otherwise they stress out.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

----------------------
Depending on what the GH of your water is will determine what fish you should keep. Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm).

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH.

----------------------
Tetras also need to be kept in groups of 10 or more otherwise they stress out.
I will test my water as soon as I can

Neon tetras need to be in groups of 6 or more and they need a bigger tank. I suggest getting a 29g long. That size tank has so many options. Once those fry grow up, you will be at your absolute max for bio load.

More tetras
Neon tetras need to be in groups of 6 or more and they need a bigger tank. I suggest getting a 29g long. That size tank has so many options. Once those fry grow up, you will be at your absolute max for bio load.
I would have a bigger tank if I could, but I need to take my tank to college after this coming summer and I need space in the dorm for that. Any suggestions on possible tank size in a normal size dorm?

Will you have a desk? Or would it just be in a counter? If just in a counter, the best your could probably do would be a 20 tall. I don’t usually suggest getting a 20g tall, but if you are limited on space this is the you could do. (I would extremely suggest finding space for a 20g long if you could)

I’m not sure yet but I think I get a desk for the room. i am rooming with a friend who would likely allow me some tank space though

I’m not sure yet but I think I get a desk for the room. i am rooming with a friend who would likely allow me some tank space though
Then try to get a 29g. Is there a limit for the size of a tank in your dorm? (I’m only asking because I know some colleges limit the size of tank you can have, just in case of a crack.)

Then try to get a 29g. Is there a limit for the size of a tank in your dorm? (I’m only asking because I know some colleges limit the size of tank you can have, just in case of a crack.)
I did not see a size requirement when I checked the site, so may potentially move up at some point

10 gallon isnt really suitable for tetras as they are a shoaling species and require longer tanks. Also tetras prefer soft water and live bearers like swordtails hard water and sword tails get too big for a ten as well.
Id suggest taking what you have back and getting more suitable fish for your ten that are compatible with the size of your tank and compatible with the water you are using, hard or soft?

I have neon tetras and a 20 gallon long would be much better for them than a 10 gallon. I have 15 neon tetras in a 55 gallon tank along with ember, glow light and red eyed tetras. They like plenty of plants and because they come from South American jungle steams they like shade so I have plenty of floating plants for them too. Anacharis and water sprite are good floating plants.

I definitely dont reccomend neons in a 10
I would suggest taking your fry and adult swords as well as your neons and maybe just keeping some snails/shrimp until you move to college. Or a betta would be cool too. 10 gallons is a really nice size for them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back