Can I add Guppies to my tank of Platies and Danios?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FishyFish888

Reaction score
Hi, so Iā€™ve had my 40L (10 gal) tank if a couple Platies and Danios that get along just fine for a few months now. I started to notice that the tank looked a little... empty. I already have many plants and decorations inside, but it just looks like the ratio of fish to tank space is pretty low. I was thinking about some community fish that may work, and thought about possibly getting some guppies.

Iā€™ve done some research, not wanting to be unprepared. Iā€™ve come across some information saying that guppies and Platies may breed because of the fact that they are both live bearers, but some other websites say otherwise, so I am not sure. I have not, however, come across any exact information if Platies, Danios and Guppies would be good tank mates.

Tell me what you think .

-FishyFish888

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How many danios do you have?
If you only have a couple you might want to increase their numbers before adding new species.

What is the general hardness (GH) of your water?
If the GH is less than 200ppm you will probably have a few issues with guppies and platies.
If the GH is above 300ppm you will probably have issues with the danios.

Hi, and thanks for replying!

I havenā€™t tested the water yet, and I will do so soon. However, I was able to count and I have about 4 danios and about 5 Platies, give or take a few. There used to be more, but 1 or 2 always seem to die when I go on holiday . The Platies also had some fry while I was away, but they are in a separate tank right now and I plan on keeping them there until I am sure they are big enough to not get eaten or sucked up into the filter, which could be in a few weeks. Also, Iā€™m a bit worried that the danios may be outnumbered by the Platies too much if I add in the fry.

So if not guppies, I was just wondering what species might be good for the tank. I may even not even need a new species, now that I think about it I probably just might end up getting more danios.

Anyways, thanks for reading this. And thanks for the advice .

-Fishyfish888

Welcome to TFF.

I know it may seem "empty" now, but this is only a 10 gallon (40 liter) tank. You have no space for any more fish, and you unfortunately have too many now. Danios need a larger tank, and more in the group. And platy will grow. Please do not add more fish.

Fish acquired from most stores are young, because it is less cost to the breeder and store to sell them sooner. But fish grow, and the mature size s what we must always consider when selecting fish and numbers.

re: When you say the fish die when you go on holiday.
Do you get someone in to feed the fish while you are away?
If yes, does that person keep fish?
If no, then you are better off leaving the fish to go without food if you are only going away for short period of time (up to 2 weeks).

Unlike most animals, fish take their body temperature from the surrounding water so any food they eat goes into growth and movement. This means they can go for weeks or even months without food. If you go away for a weekend or even 2 weeks, just feed the fish a little more often and do a few more water changes for a couple of weeks before you go, maybe add some live plants or leave the light on for a few hours more to encourage a bit of algae growth, then let the fish go hungry while you are away.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back