Can I Add A Musk Turtle To My Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I'm sure they will be fine in there until they are a bit older and I have bought a bigger tank :)

I also read somewhere you need a uvb lamp to strengthen bones and its shell, is this not necessary?
They need uv light to help them absorb calcium. I use calcium powder on their food.

These two points are mutually exclusive.

There is a very complex relationship between UVA/UVB light, calcium and vitamin D.

http://www.anapsid.org/mbd2.html

I suggest you properly research the requirements of your pets before giving out bad advice to others.

I also read somewhere you need a uvb lamp to strengthen bones and its shell, is this not necessary?
They need uv light to help them absorb calcium. I use calcium powder on their food.

These two points are mutually exclusive.

There is a very complex relationship between UVA/UVB light, calcium and vitamin D.

http://www.anapsid.org/mbd2.html

I suggest you properly research the requirements of your pets before giving out bad advice to others.
Do you own musk turtles?
I have 2 and they are both happy and healthy!

Since when did owning something make you an expert on it?

I don't keep turtles, that doesn't mean I don't have a grasp of their basic requirements, and knowing a lot about reptiles means I have a good idea about their requirements. I am also in my 4th year of a zoology degree, so have a good idea about the mechanisms involved.

If you read the article I linked to maybe you too will understand why calcium food supplements alone are not all that is required for healthy bones.

And healthy? By who's judgement. The problem with bone disorders is they often don't become apparent until it is too late.

Since when did owning something make you an expert on it?

I don't keep turtles, that doesn't mean I don't have a grasp of their basic requirements, and knowing a lot about reptiles means I have a good idea about their requirements. I am also in my 4th year of a zoology degree, so have a good idea about the mechanisms involved.

If you read the article I linked to maybe you too will understand why calcium food supplements alone are not all that is required for healthy bones.

And healthy? By who's judgement. The problem with bone disorders is they often don't become apparent until it is too late.
I never said I was an expert I just know what has been working for me. If my turtles kick the bucket due to my neglect then you will be the 1st on my apology list.

musk turtles STINK :sick: hense there nickname stinkpot turtles. I used to have two a male and a female, kept them with plently of other fish over the years and they never bothered them. They did get much bigger than expected though. The male grew to about 5/6 inches. Probably all the chicken I used to feed them. I used to have a turtle dock in the tank with them but they rarely used it. I just used a normal T8 light and they spend most of there time swimming around in the warm water. Funny to watch. Wouldn't advise keeping them in a bedroom though because they are noisy buggers and stink to high heavens lol just a heads up :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back