Can Guppies Live In An Outdoor Pond?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

If you are in Hawaii they should be fine, we have feral guppies here all from a large group that was dumped into a waterway when Woolco shut down 20+ years ago. The only problem you may run into is birds eating them as they make a nice bite size morsel.

someone dumped guppies platies and swordtails in the fountain at the library. they must be doing ok cause there are millions of fry swimming around in there now. of course it does get rather too chilly during the winter in south florida. not sure how cool it gets where you are.

karrihug said:
someone dumped guppies platies and swordtails in the fountain at the library. they must be doing ok cause there are millions of fry swimming around in there now. of course it does get rather too chilly during the winter in south florida. not sure how cool it gets where you are.
wander down there with a net :)

They should be okay as long as the water temperature doesn't drop too low. If you live somewhere where it gets really cold in winter, then I dont think even the heater would help.Still, you could just move them out for the warm weather. What i do is raise fry outdoors in summer time.

Depends, are you planning on keeping them outdoors all year round?

If you are, there are only a few species that will do well. But, if you only want to do it for the summer months, there are TONS of species that will do well outdoors for a summer vacation. Some advice though, the larger the pond, the better it will retain the heat during the cool nights. Of course if you can add a heater that will work out even better.

my lfs guy told me that the golden algae eaters can survive, and i notice a whiskered pleco in his coldwater goldfish tank

smithrc said:
karrihug said:
someone dumped guppies platies and swordtails in the fountain at the library.  they must be doing ok cause there are millions of fry swimming around in there now.  of course it does get rather too chilly during the winter in south florida.  not sure how cool it gets where you are.
wander down there with a net :)
i did, have about 100 if the little buggars in my breeding tank right now, and my friend has about the same amount in hers :kana:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back