Can dogs be vegetarian (split from thread "Feeding cichlids and other fish meat")

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.
isn't IAMS a brand of cat biscuit?
No. Its a dog food. But I think they also make cat food.
dflerkevoizzw86r7ihw.png

We used to be able to but most of us no longer have the ability to tolerate road kill (due to lack of variety in the bacteria in our intestines), especially if it's been dead more than a day. But if the animal hasn't been dead too long, and you cook it to kill the bacteria in it, then you can eat it. Although it might have a slight metallic taste, which is common in rotting meat that has turned.
I would definitely not do that. I would only eat it if I was absolutely starving and had nothing else (depending on what the animal was). But I wouldn't eat it if it was more than a day old. It would be disgusting

In addition to the above comments, some fruits and vegetables are poisonous to dogs. Onions and grapes can kill dogs. Some nuts are poisonous to dogs, and so are numerous plants and plant based foods.

If dogs were meant to eat a vegan or even vegetarian diet, they wouldn't get poisoned by various fruits, vegetables, nuts and plants.
Yup almonds, grapes, onions, macadamia nuts, garlic, leeks, dairy products (minimal cheese is ok), bacon (extremely fatty and can cause pancreas issues), raw dough, avocados, peaches, plums, raisins (dredging grapes), mushrooms, walnuts, pecans, unripe tomatoes and the tomato plant, nutmeg, broccoli, and rhubarb... I'm sure there are more

My dogs are carnivorous by making from puppies my dogs have only ever been fed raw animal meat mainly chicken but also liver hearts and kidneys of ox or lamb . The exact opposite from vegetarians but as dogs are omnivores this should be as frowned upon but I’d argue my dogs are healthier than kibble eating dogs or grass eating dogs or what ever vegan owners feed them

I must admit, I've never read about ANY pack of wolves that hunted down a head of cabbage...
That's because it was easy to catch and eat. If any cabbages could run away you might hear stories of wolves attacking them.

The old cabbage farmer outside with his gun, damn wolves, leave my cabbages alone

It's kind of interesting that while small breeds normally outlive larger breeds, the 3 oldest dogs on record are medium sized working dogs. I need more information about them because this is interesting.

I wonder if they were sterilised and if so, at what age?
I also find this interesting - my suspicion is that it's because structurally, the medium sized breeds are the closest to their wild ancestors. Their skeleton and internal organs haven't been squished into a tiny package or stretched out into a giant breed. There are some chi's having problems with their brains because of their dome shaped skull and being bred to be tinier and tinier, while a typically sized dog brain tries to grow inside a deformed skull.
Off-topic again, but would like to hear your thoughts on steralisation in pet dogs... I did a lot of research when I got my girl and decided to go for a delayed spay. Waited until she was two and fully mature before spaying, since I wanted to give her the time to mature physically and mentally, with all the hormones involved, before neutering. She never came close to being mated since I kept her close when she was in season.
Let me make this clear. If meat was the healthiest thing I would totally feed it to my pet. But if there is a better solution and the dog won't suffer, o will feed it the better solution.

But you still haven't shown how it's a better solution. You said that you don't just take things on authority, but look at the evidence before deciding. You've said that it's possible for them to survive on it - and no one is arguing that it isn't! But you haven't demonstrated that it's better, or that it's the right and natural thing for dogs. You've even agreed that dogs have evolved to live on meat. But you don't think they should eat meat anymore... why?

Be honest - both with yourself and here... Is this decision based on your faith rather than reason? Since your faith calls for a vegetarian diet. You swear that that isn't what's leading your beliefs here?

But you still haven't shown how it's a better solution. You said that you don't just take things on authority, but look at the evidence before deciding. You've said that it's possible for them to survive on it - and no one is arguing that it isn't! But you haven't demonstrated that it's better, or that it's the right and natural thing for dogs. You've even agreed that dogs have evolved to live on meat. But you don't think they should eat meat anymore... why?

Be honest - both with yourself and here... Is this decision based on your faith rather than reason? Since your faith calls for a vegetarian diet. You swear that that isn't what's leading your beliefs here?
I never said that they evolved. They began eating meat at a certain point in history.
If I could feed my dog meat and there's a chances of serious disease in the meat, or I could feed a vegetarian diet (that is not lacking in nutrition) and its safer than the meat, why wouldnt i do that for my dog?

I dont swear but I can give you my word. This decision in not based on my faith. It is based on the knowledge that I have and what I believe to be the best.

My faith does not call me to blindly believe that which is without proof.

If this decision was based on my faith, then the dog would be vegan.

It's not the best nutrition though.
What do you feed your dog in a meal? What is it's main thing it eats? I would really like to know.

Kibble to me is better than an all plant diet for a dog. When the kibble is made it is cooked so all the diseases are dead and therefore can not do anything.

It's not the best nutrition though.
What do you feed your dog in a meal? What is it's main thing it eats? I would really like to know.

Kibble to me is better than an all plant diet for a dog. When the kibble is made it is cooked so all the diseases are dead and therefore can not do anything.
I dont have one right now. Had to give her up for adoption a few years ago. I do plan on getting a blood hound sometime in the future.

I dont have one right now. Had to give her up for adoption a few years ago. I do plan on getting a blood hound sometime in the future.
Please, please don't get a dog when you're not prepared to give them the food they're evolved/been designed to eat.
When this is your belief system, get herbivore pets. There are plenty of pets to choose from that don't eat meat! I'm actually begging you not to get an animal that it primarily a carnivore only to deny it a big part of it's diet, and the food that they love the most.

Please, please don't get a dog when you're not prepared to give them the food they're evolved/been designed to eat.
When this is your belief system, get herbivore pets. There are plenty of pets to choose from that don't eat meat! I'm actually begging you not to get an animal that it primarily a carnivore only to deny it a big part of it's diet, and the food that they love the most.
Exactly! Get a tortoise or a guinea pig! They're fun. If you are ok with feeding live bugs, maybe a leapord gecko!
Plenty of options!
Just don't get something and expect it to adapt to YOUR diet. Feed it what they need, not what they dont.

I never said that they evolved. They began eating meat at a certain point in history.
If I could feed my dog meat and there's a chances of serious disease in the meat, or I could feed a vegetarian diet (that is not lacking in nutrition) and its safer than the meat, why wouldnt i do that for my dog?

I dont swear but I can give you my word. This decision in not based on my faith. It is based on the knowledge that I have and what I believe to be the best.

My faith does not call me to blindly believe that which is without proof.

If this decision was based on my faith, then the dog would be vegan.

They began eating meat? When and what exactly do you think they were eating before that point in history? Berries and leaves?

It's debatable that a vegetarian and high carb diet for dogs is 'safer' since high carb diets have been linked to diabetes and thyroid issues in dogs. Here are some articles that outline the effects of a high carb (vegetarian) diet on dogs blood glucose, weight, and thyroid hormones. The first article in particular is interesting as it discusses the ecology of wolves and how that relates to domesticated canines.

*********************** https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...og-nutrition/6698A301900EEDF10E49B062A2BD9ED8

Exactly! Get a tortoise or a guinea pig! They're fun. If you are ok with feeding live bugs, maybe a leapord gecko!
Plenty of options!
Just don't get something and expect it to adapt to YOUR diet. Feed it what they need, not what they dont.
We will just have to agree to disagree im afraid. There are plenty of ways to feed your dog vegetarian. Maybe you should do a little research on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back