Can dogs be vegetarian (split from thread "Feeding cichlids and other fish meat")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its possible to have a vegetarian dog. We had a rotty for years and she was vegetarian .

Just because it's possible doesn't mean that it should be done. It's possible to keep a dog locked in a cage for hours upon hours per day but that isn't healthy for the dog's physical or mental state. The comment was that a vegetarian diet for dogs is not SENSIBLE. Which it isn't. They are simply not suited to a vegetarian diet. Dogs are omnivorous and a healthy balanced diet for the species includes meat. Yes, they can get that macronutrient from plants, however meat is the most easily digestible and bioavailable protein source for dogs.

That's just bad for the animal. They don't digest plant matter very well and have all sorts of intestinal issues if not fed enough meat. They can have some plant matter but they need meat.
We fed ours lots of eggs. She is still alive and well today at nearly 11 years old, which is amazing for a rotty

Congrats. That doesn't change a dog's biology. They are not vegetarians and eggs are very high in cholesterol so they are not the most ideal or SENSIBLE protein source.
As was already said, Dogs are Omnivores. This means that they can transform certain amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein, into others. This means that they can get all the necessary amino acids while avoiding meat.

As was already said, Dogs are Omnivores. This means that they can transform certain amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein, into others. This means that they can get all the necessary amino acids while avoiding meat.

Did you not read the part of my comment that said plant protein is not IDEAL or the most bioavailable protein sources for dogs? There is no reason for a dog to "avoid" meat unless the humans selfishly push their beliefs onto the animal by forcing them to be vegetarian. It's just not logical. Meat is the superior protein source for dogs and the easiest way for them to meet their high protein requirements. Again, this all goes back to sensibility.

There are many reasons for dogs to avoid meat but I'm not going to get into that here because I sense an undue irritated vibe coming from you.

Could you share an example of that? Besides allergy because you can switch meat sources to remedy most sensitivities.

Could you share an example of that? Besides allergy because you can switch meat sources to remedy most sensitivities.
If you are truly interested than you can look at this study.

I also had to stop feeding my dog beef for allergy reasons. But followed the same logic in trying to pinpoint what she might be allergic to. I doubted a wild mini schnauzer would be hunting and taking down many cows. Sure enough beef was causing her allergies.

Good discussion here IMO

If you are truly interested than you can look at this study.

The last thing I'm going to say is that the "study" you linked is all self-reported and thus highly biased. The owners filled out a survey for a year, there is no scientific evidence. The gold standard for research into the diets of dogs would be a feeding and digestibility trial in a controlled setting. If there's longitudinal research like that about vegan/vegetarian diets fed to dogs I'd love to see it. ;)

Last edited:
Dogs are still descended from wolves, and wild canids live primarily on meat. It's cruel to get an animal that lives mostly on meat then force an un-natural diet onto it based on your own belief system. Don't want anything to do with meat? Then don't get a dog or a cat. Buy a herbivore for a pet. Look into your dog's mouth and tell me that he's meant to be living on plant matter alone. Their entire physiology demonstrates that they're primarily carnivorous, and omnivorous in practice.

I find it revolting when people force their personal beliefs on their pets. Many cats have died because their idiot owners forced them onto a veg only diet, and while dogs can survive without meat, it's still disgusting to me to do that to an animal for the above reasons. Get a pet rabbit if your principles extend to your pets, don't mistreat a dog for selfish reasons.

I doubted a wild mini schnauzer would be hunting and taking down many cows.

The animals she is descended from were taking down the animals that cows are descended from though. Your "wild mini schnauzer" wouldn't be solely grazing on bushes and berries either, she'd be trying to catch, kill and eat as many small furries as she could get her paws on, consuming them bones, fur and all.
If she has an allergy to beef that's fair enough, there are plenty of other meats out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Back