Can Bristlenose And Clown Pleco's Live In Same Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

downinthedumps

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just making a list of fish to buy when my 125L Juwel Rio has finished fishless cycling. I've got a large bogwood, plenty of plants and 3 hide-out ornaments.

So far my list is:

10 zebra danios
1 clown pleco
1 bristlenose pleco
3 Julii Corys

Is this ok?

Thanks

Corys are schooling fish, so you should keep at least 6 per species and preferably 10-15+.

The tank is a good size for zebra danios, you may even be able to get a few more once the tank is more mature.

The thing about plecos is that they're territorial.. or at least the males are. If you have a female bristlenose and an unknown clown pleco, they may get along fine. I would still have at least 3 and preferably 4 caves for the two fish. Personally, I would chose to not risk it (with the bottom area of the tank being quite small at 81 * 36 cm) and go for 10 Corys of one species and only 1 pleco.

Keep in mind that plecos and Corys both need special foods: sinking meaty pellets for the Corys and algae wafers for the pleco.

sorry I forgot to mention I have dorset pebble and not sand. Would that stop me from keeping Julii Corys?

As long as the pebbles are very smooth it shouldn't be a problem... any sharp/rough edges will ruin their barbels (essential to their survival). But sand really is better for them as they like to snuff around in it.

I have a 55 gallon, with 2x BN, 2x clown plecos, and 1x bulldog pleco
They all get along fine, the BNs are always out, clowns will snuff around in the plants, and the bulldog is rarely seen

sorry I forgot to mention I have dorset pebble and not sand. Would that stop me from keeping Julii Corys?
Sand would be much better, the Corys would sift through it and it would be easier to feed them on it.

I have a 55 gallon, with 2x BN, 2x clown plecos, and 1x bulldog pleco
And I have a a 110 gallon with 3 adult bristlenoses, uncountable baby bristlenoses, 1 rusty pleco and 1 mustard spot panaque, but how does that help the OP?

Saying that my plecos get along fine, I have both species living compatibly in the same tank, they are fairly young with all of them pushing 2 inches.

Saying that my plecos get along fine, I have both species living compatibly in the same tank, they are fairly young with all of them pushing 2 inches.
Bottom area of the tank, number of caves, sex of the fish and age of fish are still much more important factors than practical experience of keeping the same species in a larger tank because sexually mature males will be territorial :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back