Can Bettas Mix With Angel Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

f1sh

Reaction score
Hey. I'm setting up a new tank and am trying to find out if all the fish i want are compatible. I'm thinking of getting cory catfish, neon tetras, 1 betta and an angel fish.
Ive read nearly everywhere on the internet that angel fish can't go with neon tetras as the tetras are natural prey for them but ive been in 2 pet shops now and they have mixed them together and told me it was fine.
I asked one of the shops whether i could mix a betta with the angel fish.. but he said you cant put the bettas in a community tank at all. I have no experience with tropical fish at all but have done my research and even on youtube there are so many tanks with 1 betta with several other types of fish. sooo i know they can go with others but cant find anywhere if they go with angel fish! help! xx

Not sure if you could put an angelfish with a betta, personally i wouldn't risk it.

With regards to the angelfish and neons, when the angelfish is small the tetras may be fine, but when it gets bigger the neons will become lunch.
also, neon tetra can be quite nippy and would probably tear up your poor bettas fins. some people have made it work, but is is still risky.

Generally cory's are fine with bettas.

Not sure if you could put an angelfish with a betta, personally i wouldn't risk it.

With regards to the angelfish and neons, when the angelfish is small the tetras may be fine, but when it gets bigger the neons will become lunch.
also, neon tetra can be quite nippy and would probably tear up your poor bettas fins. some people have made it work, but is is still risky.

Okay, Thanks!

Okay, Thanks!

I've got Two medium sized Angels in with my Male Betta> they are fine (occassionally the Betta chases away Angels when feeding time is approaching) Had Siamese in with other large Angels in past and no problems.
(P.s; The neons will be at risk when the Angels grow to full size!)
Bettas go fine in a community aquarium> only don't keep more than one Male. They are a great showpiece
(check out 'rossyt99' - Tropical fish video clips on Youtube)

I've got Two medium sized Angels in with my Male Betta> they are fine (occassionally the Betta chases away Angels when feeding time is approaching) Had Siamese in with other large Angels in past and no problems.
(P.s; The neons will be at risk when the Angels grow to full size!)
Bettas go fine in a community aquarium> only don't keep more than one Male. They are a great showpiece
(check out 'rossyt99' - Tropical fish video clips on Youtube)

Well I'm glad this worked for your tank, but it won't for most. Angels are notorious fin nippers and quite aggressive as they are a strain of cichlid. So because of both of these downsides to Angels, they will rarely mix well with a betta. Even the tetras are a gamble with the betta as they too are fin nippers. Personally, I wouldn't keep either of these fish with a betta, but if you want to try it, go ahead and let us know how it works out for you.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back