Can Bettas Eat fruit or other people food?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Alisha

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am really getting to love dexter! :wub: :wub: :wub: It's funny because I never knew you could love a fish this much. Anyway, I am currently feeding him his reguler betta flakes, plus once a day I either feed him ONE dried baby brine shrimp, or ONE driend bloodworm. But I was wondering if you could feed them fruits or other foods, like do they REALLY love some kind of fruit or vegetable like orange or apple or something? I was curious on how I could vary his diet. :p Thanks! :D

i think someone said on here they tryed raisons or summin like that, but they like pea's

Peas or a little bit of cucumber or lettuce, I read a raison too but it can't have any sugar on it.

Admiral likes very small pieces (diced to about the size of a quarter of a pea) of boiled, unseasoned, untouched by anything else, chicken. I know because when I boiled some for my snail, when they were sharing a tank, he gobbled it up before the snail did.

There were no side-effects except that he ate too much of it (it wasn't meant for him and I didn't think he'd eat it, shows how wrong I am.) and wouldn't eat anything else for a day or so.

I don't know if its good for them and I'm not gonna risk the health of my baby, as I love him too much.

If you really, really REALLY want to make your betta happy, get him freeze dried or frozen blood worms, or daphnia, or even better buy him some live black worms, rinse them thoroughly, and then dangle one in the water. Too them, thats the equivelant of being handed an icecream sunday.

I've heard a few people advise against feeding fish oranges because citrus carries enough acid that it could be damaging in the water, especially in a smaller tank.

My bettas always loved freeze-dried grubs (I've actually never heard of anyone else feeding these to them, so maybe that was a nono) but I made sure to soak them in water first, in order to rehydrate them. Bloodworms are the treat everybody else seems to feed, and are the one I'm going to switch to for my pending batch of bettas.

As regards peas, they're not only a good treat, but the remedy I've heard recommended the most for constipation, so it's a two-in-one :lol: After you shell them, though, make sure you take the outer 'skin' off the pea itself as well- just give them what's inside the skin.

Andie said:
As regards peas, they're not only a good treat, but the remedy I've heard recommended the most for constipation, so it's a two-in-one :lol: After you shell them, though, make sure you take the outer 'skin' off the pea itself as well- just give them what's inside the skin.
[snapback]847630[/snapback]​
yes, peas do work, i was constipated yesterday and ate a can of peas and pheww....did it ever come out :rofl:

Foods

Good:

Peas - cooked an mushed
Cucumber - Blanched
Lettuce - Zapped in mocrowave for 3 secs - makes it easier to munch
Chicken - no seasoning, just plain - Bettas go mad for it. If I am eating a chicken salad i'll always pop a bit in for them.

Stay Away from Citrus and Very Sugary Fruits.
A tank with half its fish dead was a hard lesson.

Good but also Bad:
Oranges - DO NOT LEAVE IN TANK FOR MORE THAN 30MINS
Mango - Fish will go Mental for it BUT - DO NOT LEAVE IN TANK FOR MORE THAN 30MINS
Melon - DO NOT LEAVE IN TANK FOR MORE THAN 30MINS

Small pieces of defrosted sweet corn are a favourite food of my betta boy. :) Make sure you remove the skin though.

Cool! Thanks for that info :) Gave my Betta (named Alpha) a tiny piece of mango, he LOVED it! Happy to have found a new treat for him :good:
Took him all of 2 minutes to find it and a fraction of a second to suck it down, and I swear he did a little happy wiggle when he did! :fun:

Two bettas like a bit ham of now and then, but only a rare treat.

Bettas are carnivors so to many veggies are deffinetly not good. I sometimes feed my fish small unseasoned, shrimp pieces, but not very often.

Foods

Good:

Peas - cooked an mushed
Cucumber - Blanched
Lettuce - Zapped in mocrowave for 3 secs - makes it easier to munch
Chicken - no seasoning, just plain - Bettas go mad for it. If I am eating a chicken salad i'll always pop a bit in for them.

Stay Away from Citrus and Very Sugary Fruits.
A tank with half its fish dead was a hard lesson.

Good but also Bad:
Oranges - DO NOT LEAVE IN TANK FOR MORE THAN 30MINS
Mango - Fish will go Mental for it BUT - DO NOT LEAVE IN TANK FOR MORE THAN 30MINS
Melon - DO NOT LEAVE IN TANK FOR MORE THAN 30MINS
I wish I'd seen this sooner. I fed my betta fish mango and he loved it, I left it in the tank for maybe 90 mins and when I came back he was lying at the bottom and eventually died a few hours later. He must have eaten too much of it or just not being able to digest it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back