Can bettas eat boiled eggs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was planning on treating my betta, Hank, today with a little bit of boiled egg but someone mentioned it might not be the best. Google only really showed results for betta fry (maybe I'm using the wrong key words) but I know we've got some experienced betta keepers here.

Is it okay to give my betta a little bit of boiled egg, once a month at most?

We better check with a Pro first...

@Colin_T, @Byron.

Guys, you should never give "advice" that may harm or kill a fish, if you are not 100% it won't.

I would have to wonder why? With all the highly-nutritional quality foods suited to bettas. I've no idea as to benefits; I know egg yolks are used in infusoria cultures for fry. But eggs in a tank can be a real problem as they begin to break down.

It would be very small, about the size of a pellet or two because he has a small mouth. Maybe just spot feed him and make sure it doesn't get in the water? He's due for a change today anyways so I can just change it after

I know it said that the yolk has fat and cholesterol, but I haven't found anything about the whites yet

It will probably not hurt him but it will foul your water very fast. The result of the water being fouled could then hurt your fish. Maybe a live blood worm as a treat would be better?

It will probably not hurt him but it will foul your water very fast. The result of the water being fouled could then hurt your fish. Maybe a live blood worm as a treat would be better?
That's a better idea yes. He gets frozen every Friday but perhaps he'll appreciate live worms or bugs to hunt for enrichment

Some breeders even say egg yolk is not good for fry. I’d use the old standby’s. :)

I personally wouldn't. As @Byron said, there are a lot of high nutrient rich food out there. What are you feeding him now?

Boiled egg yolk (not the white) is used in most liquid fry foods sold at pet shops. It can be used as an emergency food for newly hatched fry, and is suitable for tiny fry like Labyrinth fry.

A small amount of boiled egg yolk is fine for fish and contains a lot of protein. If fed to them once or twice a week (in addition to other foods) it will not harm them at all. Fish naturally eat fish eggs in the wild and boiled egg yolk has a similar nutritional value to fish eggs.

The only drawback to boiled egg yolk is uneaten egg yolk will cause the water to go cloudy and can cause ammonia and or nitrite spikes. But if you offer a little bit at a time and remove any uneaten food, it is fine to feed fish, (and birds and most other animals for that matter).

All fish should have a varied diet and get frozen or live foods every day if possible, in addition to dry flake or pellet foods. Variety is the spice of life and variation in a fish's diet will provide them with the most nutrition and best health.

I regularly feed boiled egg to my fish it’s perfect for new born egg-laying Fry for the first 2 or 3 days and as good as liquify number 1/ how to prepare boiled egg for adult fish is to mash up boiled egg with fork place egg in direct sunlight for about 4-hours or leave on kitchen worktop for 24-hours in which the egg will become dry and crusty ready to feed your fish.

The dry egg will hold together and be less messy when feeding fish Any un eating food should be removed any leftover boiled egg can be left on a plate or somewhere where the air can circulate when kept in dry place the egg will last 3 or 4 days ,

IMG_7492 (640x480).jpg IMG_7679 (640x480).jpg

Thank you for your comments!! I appreciate the help, and if I feed him eggs ever I'll be sure to follow those steps. I held off of it because I wasn't sure, but now I know how to go about it if I decide to!

Are there any other home treats (like fruits or veggies) you recommend from experience?

Most reactions

Back