Can Anything Be Kept With Terrapins?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Spishkey

Spishkeys Turtle Rescue
Reaction score
such as newts/frogs/salamanders/fish etc or do they have to be kept with just terrapins? i cant find info on it anywhere apart from one saying their poo was poisonous to tropical fish, yet in shops ive seen them in with fish???? i have a huge tank sitting here and wondered if i got a terrpin or other turtle, could anything be in with it?

(tank is about 1,5m length)

its not recommended as they will just try to eat them... some people have small, fast fish like guppies etc etc with them as they as fast. but sometimes they dont last long.

Its recommended you dont.
Terrapins in the wild usually outgrow most newts/frogs/salamanders/fish species (Fish being the variable one)
And will take most smaller species or species of a similar size as prey.
After all, a growing Red ear slider turtle will eat any frogspawn and eventually frogs as they offer a great meal.
Another Problem with keeping them in the same tank would be the none terrapins dont have as much room
to escape in... compared to the vast expanse of a lake of course.

Ideally its best to just keep terrapins with terrapins.
So you dont avoid a nasty accident :good:

Its recommended you dont.
Terrapins in the wild usually outgrow most newts/frogs/salamanders/fish species (Fish being the variable one)
And will take most smaller species or species of a similar size as prey.
After all, a growing Red ear slider turtle will eat any frogspawn and eventually frogs as they offer a great meal.
Another Problem with keeping them in the same tank would be the none terrapins dont have as much room
to escape in... compared to the vast expanse of a lake of course.

Ideally its best to just keep terrapins with terrapins.
So you dont avoid a nasty accident :good:

Should be interesting ... I've got mine in with a variety of fish (barbs, danios, guppies, pleco catfish) and two crayfish. The Red Eared Sliders are pretty small at the moment and I've allowed for plenty of escape routes for the fish which are to small for the terrapins. The catfish is 3x the size of the terrpains. Even the crayfish are bigger. I am expecting some losses, but that's life ...... or :sick:

I've heard of common goldfish living peacefully with red earred sliders in ponds, but I don't think I'd ever try it.

106.jpg

Depends on how much room the fish have to move out of the way

That's one tiny litttle turtle hotred, mine was the same size when I got her :)
Now she has a 20cm shell and tries to bite my fingers off when I handle her.... :rolleyes:

well i have a cumberland slider now (thread is a little old!)
its called sid and lives hapilly with platy fry and crayfish!

have just got him amuch larger tank with an 'above top of the tank' basking area, so the whole tank is for water. thinking of adding some guppies to the mix, im hoping they may breed and he has some live food to chase (he wont touh the platy fry for some reason??)

That's one tiny litttle turtle hotred, mine was the same size when I got her :)
Now she has a 20cm shell and tries to bite my fingers off when I handle her.... :rolleyes:

If it gets rough, I'll send the wife in ........ :rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back