Can Anything Be Kept With Piranhas?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
nope probably a pleco but thats bout it i think y r u thinking of buying some or did u already buy some :blink:

No not thinking about buying them, question is just one out of pure curosity:)

I read a book and it said that small fish such as neon tetras, cardinals etc are fine with them.
this is because they are too small to bother with.

the book was
Piranhas: Fact and Fiction by John R. Quinn
and the isbn number is 0866221727

HTH

I read a book and it said that small fish such as neon tetras, cardinals etc are fine with them.
this is because they are too small to bother with.

the book was
Piranhas: Fact and Fiction by John R. Quinn
and the isbn number is 0866221727

HTH
I have read and heard the same....not sure if its true but something about the pirhana spending more energy catching it than it would gain so it leaves them alone....or so I hear :dunno:

Drew

I think you certainly can keep pirahnas with smaller fish, Blue Planet Aquarium (a great public aquarium here in the north west of England) keep Red Bellied Piranhas with a samll and very rare livebearer, just cant remember its name, and some large plecs are also in there.

Back in the late 80s I had a weekend job in a fish shop and we usually had some small fish in with the redbelly piranha, things like tetras. If a tetra got sick it was killed by the piranha and once or twice they went on a rampage and bit loads of tetras in half. They didn't eat them, just killed them. One of the customers said it was because we were keeping over a dozxen 6" fish in a 3' tank and they were stressed.

By the way, they killed a large plec we put in there. They didn't eat that either.

Red Devils? Leperinus? Anything?

The short and safe answer is no, nothing can for very long. Definitely not a cichlid.

With some Pygocentrus, people have kept plecos for a few months but it always seems to go bad eventually.

With Serrasalmus, nothing can be kept with them at all. They will kill any and everything in their tank. (Maybe an experienced aquarist can keep a Geryi shoal)

I've had partial success with keeping small fish (ie. cardinal and neon tetras) for a length of time with P. natt's but even then over a period of time a few will come up missing here and there so eventually they will all be gone.

In a large aquarium small fish with adult Pygo's would very well work. They would usually only go after one if it was weak or sick since a healthy one wouldn't be worth the food quantity to chase.

The main problem is, territory. Piranhas are extremely territorial even much more so than any cichlid I've ever had and they will kill fish not just for food but because they are tired of it being around. Piranhas are pretty solitary fish, even red belly's.

Red Devils? Leperinus? Anything?

The short and safe answer is no, nothing can for very long. Definitely not a cichlid.

With some Pygocentrus, people have kept plecos for a few months but it always seems to go bad eventually.

With Serrasalmus, nothing can be kept with them at all. They will kill any and everything in their tank. (Maybe an experienced aquarist can keep a Geryi shoal)

I've had partial success with keeping small fish (ie. cardinal and neon tetras) for a length of time with P. natt's but even then over a period of time a few will come up missing here and there so eventually they will all be gone.

In a large aquarium small fish with adult Pygo's would very well work. They would usually only go after one if it was weak or sick since a healthy one wouldn't be worth the food quantity to chase.

The main problem is, territory. Piranhas are extremely territorial even much more so than any cichlid I've ever had and they will kill fish not just for food but because they are tired of it being around. Piranhas are pretty solitary fish, even red belly's.

i wouldnt reccommend anything else in a tank with piranhas, i put a 14 inch catfish in with my 2 6 inch piranhas, and it was gone in 10 minutes.....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back