Can anyone recommend a RO/DI system?

Ch4rlie

Moderate Moderating Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Am at the moment researching into having a RO/DI system so that I can filter my hard water for a saltwater tank that I am planning on setting up and also for setting up a soft water freshwater tank for salt & pepper cories and certain tetras perhaps.
(currently have 259-277 mg/l or 15dH and pH between 7.5 - 7.7 according to website for my water provider)

I am looking into this system and seems quite reasonable at this price, have seen far more expensive equipment and am unsure what would work well for a beginner into RO/DI and a newbie in saltwater.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00204CQF6/?tag=

Am not looking for high gallon per day systems, 50 gallons per day is adequate for now I think.

ANY advice or recommendations at all would be great!:#

TIA

Ch4lie

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This one looks a little neater https://www.directwaterfilters.co.u...-ro-system-unit-with-di-resin-75-200-gpd.html
Neither system is pumped. If you have typical UK water pressure you may want to consider a pumped system.

My 100GPD system takes 40 minutes to produce 10 litres - 50GPD will take twice as long. The 50, 75, 100 and 150GPD membranes are all the same size. I had no deterioration in quality when I switched from to 100 and I have just ordered a 150 for my next change.

This one looks a little neater https://www.directwaterfilters.co.u...-ro-system-unit-with-di-resin-75-200-gpd.html
Neither system is pumped. If you have typical UK water pressure you may want to consider a pumped system.

My 100GPD system takes 40 minutes to produce 10 litres - 50GPD will take twice as long. The 50, 75, 100 and 150GPD membranes are all the same size. I had no deterioration in quality when I switched from to 100 and I have just ordered a 150 for my next change.

That’s excellent. That’s exactly the sort of feedback am after. Perfect!

My water pressure is actually pretty good so don’t think will need a pumped system as am planning on fitting the RO/DI system directly from pipe supply from the mains before it goes into the pipe supply to water softener system (this being a salt fed system)for the main house which I’ll avoid at all cost for the tanks obviously.

Thanks

Got mine from https://www.osmotics.co.uk/
2 yrs in, all still good. Can consider a 'water saving kit' too (it basically directs the waste water into a 2nd RO filter) just buy the parts and link it together.
BRS USA has videos on it.

That looks good as well, little more expensive but looks good.

Really like the idea of second RO filter to save some of the waste water going through 1st RO filter system, a good idea imho. :good:

How long can you keep RO water in a sealed container for?

So that means I may need to get 2 RO systems ...…...:huh:………… how am I going to get that cost past my other half as she is not particularly impressed with my spending list for my new tanks and equipment so far...….:rolleyes:......and I am not even finished with that list either...still got plants to add....fish as well....shrimps too....ferts….lights.....:lol:

Really like the idea of second RO filter to save some of the waste water going through 1st RO filter system, a good idea imho. :good:

So that means I may need to get 2 RO systems ...…...:huh:………… how am I going to get that cost past my other half as she is not particularly impressed with my spending list for my new tanks and equipment so far...….:rolleyes:......and I am not even finished with that list either...still got plants to add....fish as well....shrimps too....ferts….lights.....:lol:

How long can you keep RO water in a sealed container for? Not sure on RO only, (RODI...forever I think) but I think it will be fine for a few months.
So that means I may need to get 2 RO systems...........Not quite sure what you mean, if you are referring to the 'water saving kit' its just the RO filter and a couple of valves. Probably cost 15 pounds

How long can you keep RO water in a sealed container for? Not sure on RO only, (RODI...forever I think) but I think it will be fine for a few months.
So that means I may need to get 2 RO systems...........Not quite sure what you mean, if you are referring to the 'water saving kit' its just the RO filter and a couple of valves. Probably cost 15 pounds

What I mean by water saving is the fact having just one RO system means there is a lot of water waste, something like 1-4 ratio.

So if you were to add another RO system to the waste outlet of the first RO system, you would then be processing some of the waste water into another RO thus saving water.

Hope that makes more sense.

Am still working out whether I need just RO or RO/DI but your answer about it can be kept for quite some time is good as it means I can store RO water in a water container without worrying about it going off.

That looks good as well, little more expensive but looks good.

Tell her you won it all

Just tell her about one order at a time. "Oh it's only £70 and was such a bargain. Normally that'd cost X amount". You'll be grand :rofl:

I already have done that a few times.:lol:

Did that tactic for quite a few bits for my SW tank, equipment for that so far is proving really expensive!:X

Will be doing a journal type thread for both my SW and new freshwater tank at some point in near future so more info will be on those;)

Let me know if you're interested in a TMC Vecton V2 600... quite literally removing one now from a setup I've obtained, have no use for it.

Let me know if you're interested in a TMC Vecton V2 600... quite literally removing one now from a setup I've obtained, have no use for it.

Is that a steriliser?

Will I need one of those for a nano sw tank?

( that shows how much I know about sw tanks!! :X )

Is that a steriliser?

Will I need one of those for a nano sw tank?

( that shows how much I know about sw tanks!! :X )
It is a steriliser yes, I believe they are used predominantly by SW aquarists.
I just know that the previous owner kept Discus; whether its deemed a requirement for those, I'm not sure?
If you do need one, you probably won't need this one as its 1900l/hr! They do sell a nano vers rated at 360l/hr.
Add it to your list of things you've won :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back