Can anyone identify this fish for me?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sarahmaygail

Reaction score
I had a pond in my garden with large goldfish and koy fish. I gave them away and emptied the pond only to find this poor little fella lurking in the bottom. I'd like to rehome him too but without knowing the species it is difficult.
20220112_124853.jpg

I had a pond in my garden with large goldfish and koy fish. I gave them away and emptied the pond only to find this poor little fella lurking in the bottom. I'd like to rehome him too but without knowing the species it is difficult. View attachment 152225
Crucian Carp, which is a goldfish-carp hybrid.

BUT, there's this, from Wiki:

The variation in shape of a crucian carp can be very high. When cohabiting waters where predatory fish are present, there occurs an induced change in the morphology of the population from a sleek-bodied form to a deep-bodied form, which makes it difficult for predator fish to fit the crucian carp within its jaws.[13] However, because the deep-bodied morph is not permanent, it is expected that the trait might have some survivability trade-offs in the absence of predators.[14] Notably, the deep-bodied morph is associated with compromised immune function and resource allocation. Specifically, deep-bodied crucian carp have a lower level of baseline natural antibodies relative to the sleeker-bodied morphs.[15] In addition, crucian carp with the deep-bodied morphology exhibit reduced growth rates when compared to their sleeker-bodied counterparts.[16]

IMHO it looks like a good old fashioned common goldfish. This was the type of colouring they took when breeding naturally in the wild, now often discarded in farms.
The dorsal fin gives it away.

1642002865298.png

hybrid carp/goldfish
very pretty fins and color
saw a bunch of these in a tank at the store
i would take him in if i dug a pond
in the meantime i think an old tank with nothing in it can house him for a while

I have a pond with goldfish in it. I occasionally I find fish that look like yours. I don't purposely breed them but the bright colored ones and the fancy fin ones seem to get eaten by the herons and raccoons more frequently.

I have a pond with goldfish in it. I occasionally I find fish that look like yours. I don't purposely breed them but the bright colored ones and the fancy fin ones seem to get eaten by the herons and raccoons more frequently.
yea natural selection prob

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back