Can Anyone Identify These Turtles?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sharknado99

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there

Is there anyone that can help me identify what breed of turtles these are?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 107
Its hard to tell, but they look like Juvenile Red Eared Sliders. Can you get a picture of the top of their shells?

What about this one..

I feel so sorry for them. My friend took this photo from her house in Hong Kong. They are just sitting in that bowl with stones.
According to her, they've been like that for 6 months already and heaps of households have them like that..

If they are red eared sliders, they need a much bigger tank right...

I'll try and let her know...

Attachments

• IMG_1731.jpg
    IMG_1731.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 118
Yep! Red Eared Sliders. Males get 6-8 inches and females get 8-10 inches. For both of them I would do a 55g tank for now, and a 125g tank in the future. They are very messy and need a filter rated 4x the aquarium size. Make sure they have a basking area big enough for both at the same time, a UV lamp, and a heat lamp! The water does not need a heater though. Water only needs to be above 68 for them to thrive.

Females can get larger than 8-10" my 35 year old red eared sliders are 12"

I can't seem to see the 'red-ear' that would make them a red-eared slider (Trachemys scripta elegans)

A young Trachemys scripta troostii maybe?

TF, I dont think they are that. The dont have the bellies of anything. Another thought was a Yellow Bellied Slider. Which, I think it is :p

I beleive they grow about the same size as red eared sliders. Males 5-8 inches and females 8-13. So I would still recommend a 125g tank for them.

And, red eared sliders dont get the red until a bit older.

Oh yea! YBS like a water temp of around 75 degrees Fahrenheit 

I'm pretty sure all of the hatchling red-ears that i've hatched before have bright red 'ears' already and slowly fade to an orange or brownish tinge as they grow to pancake sizes.

Based on the 2nd photo of the OT, it seems that the turtles have an intense algal growth on the belly and carapace making ID-ing even more difficult lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back