Can Anyone Idenity This Catfish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mrsbarx

Reaction score
I purchased this catfish a month ago from the pet store. At the time we were told it was a bumblebee catfish but on further research there seems to be no subspecies that match it's description. And unfortunately, it wouldn't let me do an attachment of the picture.
2u3v0oy.jpg

As it was loading - I thought that it was some kind of hoplo or calyicthys but its not...

I can see where Whitmore is coming from with the clarias but its not them.

hmmm got me a bit stuck on that one....

I bet MartinS or Neale Monks will know :) Nobodyofthegoat might be a good bet as well - might be worth sending a message as I think they will know.

Wills

That's a bullhead, coldwater catfish - looks like Ameiurus serracanthus (see [url="http://www.planetcatfish.com/ameiurus_serracanthus"]PlanetCatfish[/url]) to me.
Adult size is around 11" (without tail) so you are going to need a tank that is at least 4'x2'x2' for this, and it will devour anything it can fit in it's mouth.
Sorry to say definitely not a bumblebee of any description!
Martin

Yes a marbled Bullhead, common in the 70s, not seen one since

^ that would be because they are banned in the UK, and shouldn't be imported or traded

i tried getting one of these, for my cold water system a few years back.
i couldnt find them anywhere, fish shops even looked for me and they came back telling me i would need a liscence and have them imported which would cost a fortune.

the catfish i looked at where the brown and yellow belly bullheads.
nice looking fish, but shame there so destructive towards everything when adults :(

these fish facinate me beyond beleif!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back