Can anyone I.D this worm please?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EmJay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just found this worm in the substrate of my shrimp tank. It is a yellowy colour and approx 40mm long. Does anyone know what it is please?

Attachments

• IMG-20220626-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220626-WA0000.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 44
Detritus worm, usually the result of overfeeding

I had no idea detritus worms grew that big :blink: I always thought they were little white things not 4 cm/1.6 inches long.

I know not everyone has greedy fish but my fish would eat that
Iv has pest snails evicted to the filter because my fish won’t allow any population of snails in the tank

I literally hid an earth worm in the sand hoping the turtle would dig it out eventually.... nope the fish just dig down like time team and eat
It’s annoying really as you have to target feed the slower things

It's not a detritus worm, way too big and wrong colour for that.

It's just an aquatic worm and harmless. Put it back in the substrate.

@Guyb93 I have Aplocheilus lineatus Golden Wonder Killifish that will not let snails live at all. They eat them shells and all. They eat them as they hatch and they eat the egg sacs. I have some pond snails that I'm keeping separate just to have them. Nothing stops hungry fish.
If it lives it’s food ahahah I don’t know weather tetra change the way they eat when living with cichlids but even they will rip apart a 10cm earth worm no issue . I always get amazed when people find mystery worms n stuff . I have fish vanish without even a fin to be seen there is just no way in a thousand scenarios that a worm could survive the thunder dome lol

It's not a detritus worm, way too big and wrong colour for that.

It's just an aquatic worm and harmless. Put it back in the substrate.
Grow to "about an inch", according to the below...the one the OP has is just a well-fed grandaddy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back