Can anyone help?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Matty24

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Evening all can anyone explain to me what this orangey coloured liquid is noticed it awhile ago never got round to posting a picture (hopfully you can see it) any info would be great.

thanks
20220623_205921.jpg

I'd also say it's just detritus build up, happens with most any substrate! Gravel vaccing might not get it since it's more stuck to the glass, and I see it's a planted substrate with a carpet, but if you use something like a plastic algae scraper or even an old credit or gift card to scrape between the substrate and glass, it'll come off and up, and you can do a water change/use a gravel vac to suck it up out of the water. That's what I do with sand or gravel anyway, can't see why it couldn't work with a planted substrate. :)

Would love to see a pic of the whole tank! Not for any useful purpose, just from the healthy plants I see, looks as though it'll be a beautiful one! :D

@AdoraBelle Dearheart there you go its coming together slowly not looking to win any awards just looking for a overgrown but maintained looked, my otos love getting there noses down into that detritus so that would explain some of the weird things I see them doing 🤣🤣
View attachment 161871

WOW!
I knew just from the glimpse I got from the first photo that it would be a nice one, but this is truly stunning! :wub:

The way you've used the internal filter to have the vallis flowing in the same direction like that - gorgeous!! Looking at my own limp, struggling vallis right now, lol!

You said you're not looking to win any awards, but you absolutely must enter this tank into the tank of the month contest when your tank size category comes up! Right, @Fishmanic ? That looks like a future tank of the year winner to me... :D:vote:

Thanks.. wasnt expecting that reaction from people I'm always playing with stuff I'm never happy always think I can add something or make something look better to be fair I have to give credit to @Essjay she talked me through the whole cycling the tank and I have literally hounded her with question after question, she probably hates me but it's tuff luck you were involved 🤣🤣🤣🤣 @AdoraBelle Dearheart vallis has been the most productive plant in my tank it grows like crazy literally started with about 6 plants 1 of the giant valls at a guess was around 3 foot long at 1 point got to the point when I was trimming and doing water changes I would get wrapped around my arm so it had to be cut 🤣🤣😅😅

Thanks.. wasnt expecting that reaction from people I'm always playing with stuff I'm never happy always think I can add something or make something look better to be fair I have to give credit to @Essjay she talked me through the whole cycling the tank and I have literally hounded her with question after question, she probably hates me but it's tuff luck you were involved 🤣🤣🤣🤣 @AdoraBelle Dearheart vallis has been the most productive plant in my tank it grows like crazy literally started with about 6 plants 1 of the giant valls at a guess was around 3 foot long at 1 point got to the point when I was trimming and doing water changes I would get wrapped around my arm so it had to be cut 🤣🤣😅😅
I did the same to poor @Essjay when I joined! I'm not good at chemistry, and took me a while to wrap my head around pH, GH, KH etc, and she was super kind and patient trying to explain it to me! And demanding she help me with a shrimp crisis etc - I bet she started to dread finding all her notifications were me tagging her, asking her to explain cycling to me or someone else :lol:

We're really lucky with our mod group here. Nice folks who don't power trip or throw their weight around, but keep an eye and do their best to help when needed :) Also just nice, genuinely kind and helpful folks, who will take a lot of time to help people who are willing to learn.

@Essjay , to be honest, I still haven't really got the hang of how pH, GH and KH interact... :lol: I'm really a chemistry dunce!

@Matty24 - give yourself credit too! It's very clear how much work and effort you've poured into the tank. The tank and plants show it! Shows that you've been willing to learn and have put a lot into it! No tank is ever "finished". They're a constantly evolving thing when it's a personal tank you plan to keep and not an aquascaping contest or something. The contests are just a snapshot of how your tank is doing at that time. But there's always going to be something you want to change or improve! So don't wait until you think it's perfect, since it doesn't need to be, and then you'll never enter since there's always something you want to change at some point. :)

The contests are just a snapshot of how your tank is at this time, and right now, your tank absolutely deserves an entry into a TOTM contest!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back