Can anyone help me identify this fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Unknown Fish

Reaction score
20210302_113220-01.jpeg
20210302_113229-01.jpeg

Hi!!

I caught this fish from a pond. I really love them. They are very friendly with my guppies. They have a translucent body. Eyes have a shiny neon white outer circle which shines blue / green as per the light.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me identify this fish. They are in my tank for 10 days now. One of them had eggs hanging on to her belly for a day or 2 but now gone i could not find.
I would really love them to breed and have babies so want more information about them.

Hope to find an answer here..

Cheers !!!

Off a quick look online , possibly an Indian glass barb ? Could be completely wrong

No I have not, but @Crispii has, maybe when he comes online he can help out.

From my understanding theyre a fairly easy fish, very neat and good fish to keep

Java Rice fish (Oryzias javanicus). great little fish, good catch :)

Thank You Colin.. Beautiful fish.. I have been a huge guppy fan for many years never could think of keeping any other fish. I just happened to go with my friends to a mangrove kinda area ( not exactly a mangrove but something similar with some water bodies and these rice fish caught my eye, so many of them together. I cudnt stop myself and had to get some home ?.

I have a related species, Daisy's rice fish Oryzias woworae (or at least, I have the last four females). They do breed in an unusual way as you've seen. The fertilised eggs remain attached to the female until they are scraped off by decor when she swims through it. They look like a cluster of bubbles.

I have never seen fry in my main tank but a few years ago I had a betta in another tank which was the most laid back betta I've ever had. I moved some floating plants from the main tank into his tank and several days later saw some fry swimming in there, which he ignored :oops: I was able to leave them with the betta until they grew big enough to cope in the main tank.

I have a related species, Daisy's rice fish Oryzias woworae (or at least, I have the last four females). They do breed in an unusual way as you've seen. The fertilised eggs remain attached to the female until they are scraped off by decor when she swims through it. They look like a cluster of bubbles.

I have never seen fry in my main tank but a few years ago I had a betta in another tank which was the most laid back betta I've ever had. I moved some floating plants from the main tank into his tank and several days later saw some fry swimming in there, which he ignored :oops: I was able to leave them with the betta until they grew big enough to cope in the main tank.
Yes it was a surprise for me when i saw the eggs hanging. I didnt know what to do and the next day they vanished. May be they were eaten by other fish. I used to keep planted aquarium earlier but for a couple of months i have gone bare bottom with only floating plants.

How do I save the eggs?
Can i take the female and keep her seperate while she has the eggs hanging? Is it safe for the eggs to net the fish in that stage?

I like your betta - The most laid back betta ever ???

The eggs could well be in the roots of the floating plants

You could try making a spawning mop - a handful of strands of knitting yarn tied together in the middle and weighted so it sits on the bottom of the tank and the yarn floats up like a plant. Have a few of them, put one in every day then next day move it to a separate tank so any eggs can hatch.
This is a technique used for other types of fish but I can't why it wouldn't work with rice fish.

The eggs could well be in the roots of the floating plants

You could try making a spawning mop - a handful of strands of knitting yarn tied together in the middle and weighted so it sits on the bottom of the tank and the yarn floats up like a plant. Have a few of them, put one in every day then next day move it to a separate tank so any eggs can hatch.
This is a technique used for other types of fish but I can't why it wouldn't work with rice fish.
Great.. Even I think this should work. I dont have another tank. Can i just put it in some plastic bucket without a filter, air pump etc..

A bucket would work until the eggs hatched, but then you'd need a filter. A sponge filter powered by an air pump is perfect for tiny fry as the water flow is gentle.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back