Can anyone help me identify these?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Robder

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
IMG_2154-1.jpgIMG_2131.jpg

They're peacocks - reckon they're hybrids or a specific breed?

The yellow cichlids kinda looks like a yellow regal peacock and the one with more blue I google image searched it and it looks like a Aulonocara nyassae but I could be totally wrong. Both are gorgeous fish I would like to get some once you figure out what they are.

The yellow cichlids kinda looks like a yellow regal peacock and the one with more blue I google image searched it and it looks like a Aulonocara nyassae but I could be totally wrong. Both are gorgeous fish I would like to get some once you figure out what they are.

Haven't seen the yellowy one since he was introduced. I'm guessing he's light sensitive and highly stressed following the move (and a very good hider)...so it's going to take a while to get a good pic.

Hopefully someone will be able to identify him though. :)

Thanks for coming back with these!

I'm not 100% on the first one but it could be Nyassae as Fish384 said above I think the yellow one is Aulonocara Usisya - one of my favourite Peacocks :) Usisya is quite a timid Peacock so could be having a hard time with the rougher OBs and Dragon Bloods.

Its kind of why I wouldnt recommend just doing pick and mix on these kind of things, best to put in a bit of research before you buy.

Oh dear...I thought I had researched, but it's clear there are huge variables within the species.

I guess there's always rehoming if things get too feral with the dragon blood. My OB is really timid thankfully.

Oh dear...I thought I had researched, but it's clear there are huge variables within the species.

I guess there's always rehoming if things get too feral with the dragon blood. My OB is really timid thankfully.
Its something I've realised since trying to learn this side of the hobby. With Africans a lot of species just get stuck into certain groups, compared to other areas of the hobby where very specific nuances are identified between different species e.g water hardness, diets, sizes, behaviour where as with Malawi its often grouped into 'ok' and 'not ok'.

When I've looked at Mbuna and started to learn about species like Acei and Labs, they are so different from the other families of Mbuna its quite interesting to learn about and I can take that knowledge for my tank and know that having an Acei species as a 4th group in my tank increases my chances of success because they wont compete for the rock work as much as the others, in the wild they live in the top meter of the lake and behave almost like a schooling fish. But sometimes the level of research is simply Peacocks or Mbuna and then have at it but I think there is real value in researching the specific species before you buy them and go to a store knowing that you want X and also knowing why you want X - eg its probably got the right temperament for the other fish, the right colours (for aesthetics but also to avoid aggression), right diet etc - or like I mentioned above where Acei will be less competitive for rock work, in a Peacock tank Yellow Labs are an interesting option as you can keep a group with Peacocks, the hybrid risk is low (though still possible) with Peacocks and they will live between some rocks and the open water - meaning you have a balance of aggression because you have a good number of fish in the tank to spread aggression out but also a group of bright yellow fish that won't be taking up space in the open water all the time if that makes sense?

There is probably a fair to good chance that a lot of the time when people just chuck in mixes of Malawi together they survive because they can be so unpredictable but I don't think they will thrive, but a lot of Malawi tanks are judged just on survival. But, then I also think even if you did everything to the letter there is still a risk of failure as these fish are so unpredictable which is why (for lack of a better phrase) I think the standards are lower on the Malawi side of things. By standards I mean, its common keepers don't know species names, its common risks are taken, its common aesthetics come before welfare, its common unusual tank mates are put with them (e.g Clown Loaches or L number Plecos) - I'm not saying you are doing this but its just part of Malawi side of things and its easy to compare your standards against others doing this and thinking well I'm not doing 'that' so 'this' must be ok. But I'd argue if you come home and have to ask what species you've bought you've not done enough research.

As I've started my journey to the Rift Lakes side of things I've tried to take the same kind of approach that I do with anything else which is research to the point I can walk into a shop and know exactly what I'm looking at before I buy anything. I've done this the other way many many times with many many different types of fish and its gone wrong many many times, similar to here but in the past it was with Americans for me.

Anyway enough of my inane ramblings
Wills :)

Never enough and def not inane! Thanks for this.

Yeah I think going forward I need to focus on Aulonocara types. If any of my bloods play up then I can always get them rehomed. Disappointing, but a learning nonetheless. Plus, as you say, they're brilliantly fickle - I have an OB hybrid that is really submissive and gentle for example. The yellow lab seems fine so far too (touch wood).

Yet despite this, the newbies are still hiding and never come out - I guess I need to wait it out for a few weeks before making a value judgement on this.

I'd like a Madoka Blue Lips - are they compatible?

Never enough and def not inane! Thanks for this.

Yeah I think going forward I need to focus on Aulonocara types. If any of my bloods play up then I can always get them rehomed. Disappointing, but a learning nonetheless. Plus, as you say, they're brilliantly fickle - I have an OB hybrid that is really submissive and gentle for example. The yellow lab seems fine so far too (touch wood).

Yet despite this, the newbies are still hiding and never come out - I guess I need to wait it out for a few weeks before making a value judgement on this.

I'd like a Madoka Blue Lips - are they compatible?

From what I've learned so far Peacock and Hap tanks are mixed between timid and boisterous set ups, from the Aulonocara side of things the Stuartgranti species and dependents are on the more timid side and the Jacobfreibergi species are more on the boisterous side so still need to be a little careful with mixing them. From what I know about the OBs and some of the hybrids they are often grouped into the boisterous side too - so for example your OBs and Dragonbloods are from the more boisterous side so you may be better rehoming at least the Usisya - I'm not sure where the other one sits.

With the Madoka Blue Lips I had a search and most places say a 72 inch tank which I don't think yours is? But some of the Haplichromis group or Haps might be good choices in here too as they are sometimes a step up the foodchain from Peacocks and might stand their own better - a Borleyi might be a good candidate :)

Hmmm I'm quite into the Usisya - will keep an eye. If I see visible signs of aggression, the others might have to go.

Is there a simple chart where I can reference the species against the name anywhere? It's hard to get a handle on this.

Again - amazing info, thanks!

Hmmm I'm quite into the Usisya - will keep an eye. If I see visible signs of aggression, the others might have to go.

Is there a simple chart where I can reference the species against the name anywhere? It's hard to get a handle on this.

Again - amazing info, thanks!
Unfortunately I've not found one but I agree I wish there was such a thing. I think its probably because there are so many options and conditions as you want to avoid too many haps of the same family or avoid fish that look too similar. For my 300 litre I had this sort of list and got good reactions from a few people I know that know their stuff with Peacocks

Peacocks -
Aulonocara Stuartgranti - Ngara Flametail
Aulonocara Rubescens - Ruby Red
Aulonocara Maulana - Bi-Color 500
Aulonocara sp. Stuartgranti "Maleri" Sunshine
Aulonocara Usisya
Aulonocara Turkis

Haps -
Copadichromis Trewavasae Mloto Likoma
Copadichromis Azureus
Otopharynx Tetrastigma or Otopharynx Lithobates Red Blaze
Protomelas Marginatus
Placidochromis Electra

These were all meant to be a male only tank which can be tricky to track down as some places dont want to sell single sex fish as they get left with the females but the shop you are going to might be more accommodating. I was working on the basis of upto 12 fish but I might have done 10 and then had a group of Yellow or White Labs with them. If you did all 11 of these you might be able to keep some more placid hybrids like your OB and Dragon Bloods but its a risk. In the US there are some online stores that do all of these fish and sell them as guaranteed 3-4 inch males so they have it quite easy where as we have to track them down a bit - I have 2 breeders near me so could potentially source most of them but they dont want to sell just males so bit tricky...

I'm starting with an Mbuna tank soon but maybe in the future I might get a second 75 gallon to sit next to it to do a Peacock tank like this, already agreed with my wife but just want to make sure I can commit time to the maintenance.

Wills

Just a picky point that will make old schoolteacher me disliked - when you say "breed" you are discussing a modified fish - a hybrid or a fish with human selected traits. When you say "species" you are discussing a distinct natural unit of life from the wild, with a defined scientific name based on research. Breeds have trade names only. The whole bunch can be a Genus, which is composed of related species.

It sounds like I'm nitpicking but you'll find it makes the research into what you have easier. As for what you have, a huge percentage of the Aulonocara now in the hobby have been hybridized along the supply chain. They can easily interbreed, but in the wild, never meet up to do so. There are 22 valid peacock species, around 15 names that have been rejected through research (but can show up in the hobby) and dozens of sports, hybrids, renamed for marketing varieties and inventions. That group of peacocks is one of the hardest to identify a fish by eye from. You may be able to eyeball them and see what one supplier calls them, but they are a human/aquarist made genetic soup.

Rainbows were as bad at one time, and pet shop 'bows can still be very dodgy. It's only recently that a minority of suppliers have caught on to the value of diversity as a marketing tool, and started keeping the wild caughts apart at their installations. Most peacocks got their hobby start before that realization had hit.

Thank you @Wills - this is fantastic

and @GaryE - not nitpicky at all - makes perfect sense. :)

The latest development is a very feisty Usisya who has finally emerged, keen to establish himself. Even the dragon blood doesn't stand a chance - so this is an interesting and encouraging development. :)

These are a few of the people I've been watching to try and learn about these species might be worth checking out too

All three channels make it pretty easy to understand and have good tips to follow and quite a lot of videos on Peacocks and Haps too!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back