JCW_1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest one species of fish you would add to:

6 Purple tetra
6 Neon tetra
4 Columbian tetra
2 Pearl Danio
1 Guppy (he is happy alone and seems to attack other guppies)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

Definitely soft water. PH is currently 6.8

My mother got an anglefish and he attacks the other fish - too aggressive for me and I don't want to risk upsetting a happy tank. For the same reason i don't want to risk betta and i hear barbs are aggressive as well. Rasbora could work.

Definitely soft water. PH is currently 6.8

My mother got an anglefish and he attacks the other fish - too aggressive for me and I don't want to risk upsetting a happy tank. For the same reason i don't want to risk betta and i hear barbs are aggressive as well. Rasbora could work.

This is very correct, these fish do have problems as mentioned. But we can suggest many that will be suitable. We do need to know the tank dimensions and volume (both as they affect fish differently). And what is the substrate material (this can affect substrate level fish we might suggest)?

The tank is 112 litre tank - 90cm. I have sand substrate.

I think I have been lucky because they all get on together and I want to avoid aggression so a colourful but friendly. I don't know if I could put another shoal due to size.

OK. First, you must increase the numbers of the shoaling fish you now have, being the four tetra species and the danio. A group of 10 (or more) is in the best interests of these fish. Providing what the existing fish require and expect is going to take up the space you have available. However, you could consider a group of cories for the substrate level, and if you do, here again a group of 9-10 minimum.

Provided you are regular with significant water changes (once a week, 50-70%) you will be fine, and the existing fish will be much the better for the increased numbers, guaranteed.

I have built my tank up slowly - if I added another 6 danio and 8 tetra in one go do you think i'll get problems with bacteria - should i top up bottled bacteria? Tank is a few months old and has been ok so far.

I have built my tank up slowly - if I added another 6 danio and 8 tetra in one go do you think i'll get problems with bacteria - should i top up bottled bacteria? Tank is a few months old and has been ok so far.

Bottled whatever-it-is will not help much (if at all) here. You have the nitrifying bacteria in the tank and filter now, and with additional ammonia they will multiply. However, if you have live plants that include some fast growing species, they will take up the ammonia even faster and with plants there is no nitrite following, and thus less if any nitrate. Do you have plants?

I do have plants but 5 are new and I don't know if they will do well, previously i had plants that died. My fish sometimes get stressed if I put
the light on and i put them first. My new plants are slow growers and may do better with less light.

I do have plants but 5 are new and I don't know if they will do well, previously i had plants that died. My fish sometimes get stressed if I put
the light on and i put them first. My new plants are slow growers and may do better with less light.

I would get some substantial floating plants. Water Sprite is the #1 here, but Frogbit and Water Lettuce are also good. These will grow large (they can be kept in check) and provide good shade, and they are "ammonia sinks."

I wanted floating plants because i was told it will make the tetra feel better, but my local store has been out of stock. I will try amazon, as i understand there is a good seller.

I wanted floating plants because i was told it will make the tetra feel better, but my local store has been out of stock. I will try amazon, as i understand there is a good seller.

UK members may help too, I believe @Essjay has acquired Water Sprite from some local store.

As far as floating plants go I think Cardamine Lyrata is the best floating plant around. It will never smoother your and gives good protection for your fish.
20220809_175254.jpg

20220809_175246.jpg

UK members may help too, I believe @Essjay has acquired Water Sprite from some local store.
There a few on-line shops which sell water sprite. The seller k2aqua on eBay usually has 3 varieties - thalicroides (the one everyone else sells), cornuta and fein. I've just looked and unfortunately all three are out of stock at the moment.
I usually buy plants on-line as few shops stock the plants I want, and I need guaranteed shrimp and snail safe plants so I have to be careful about where I buy. You don't list either shrimps or snails, so you don't need to be as careful. Of the shops I've used, ProShrimp and Java Plants have C. thalicroides in stock at the moment. Aqua Essentials also have it, though I've not bought from them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back