Can Any Discus Keepers Offer Any Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mattwhite

Reaction score
I am thinking about setting up a discus tank. It will be my second aquarium, the first being a community set up which I have had for six months.

The thing is my girlfriemd and I are expecting our first baby in july and being a dad is going to take up most of my time.
Before i commit to getting a discus tank i would like to get some idea of how much work is involved in keeping these beautiful fish. how much time is needed each day/week to keeping the discus healthy?

Any other tips or advice would be great.

Basically discus need extra clean water is all. If your tap is suitable for them, then all you need to do is 2-3 water changes weekly. They are also not agressive eaters, tending to graze all day. Thus ideally they should be fed small amounts a few times/day.

The are most easily cared for in a bare bottom tank.

I have 6 discus in a 70 gall tank and the water changes do take time - I do 3 a week of around 30%. And that's assuming your tap water is good enough that it won't need to be run through an RO or HMA unit. I'm not sure that I personally would like to keep them and a new baby.
If you reckon how long it takes you on your current tank, work out the increased volume of your proposed new tank, and from there figure out how long 3 x 30% changes a week would take.
If you get smaller (i.e. younger) discus IMO you'll need to do a lot more water changes than that - mine are about 4" now and that's the regime I use.

Most reactions

trending

Back