Can Anubias Leaves Survive Out Of Water?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

VidVid

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hey.
can anyone tell me if anubias leaves could survive above water. i asked this because one of my anubias leaves were above the water line (due to a bit of evaporation) and when i filled the tank up, it was the only 'clean' leaf with no traces of algae on it. I was just wondering if it was safe to leave most of the anubias leaves above water so that the algae can die off?
P.S. it is just the leaves out of water. The roots are safely attached to the driftwood underwater.

Yup, they can be grown out of water, so long as you keep the roots nice and watery. It'll increase the growth rate of the plant too, though take caution not to accidentally cause burns on your plant leaves if the plant is close to the light.

Also make sure the leaves are in a quite humid environment too. You may find they grow better out of water.

ok thanks. im just trying to get rid of the algae so as soon as thats done, it will be back emersed. The only problem is that i don't want to decrease the water level in my tank to the point of fully exposing the top leaves out of water (since only a few inches of water will be left in the tank). Will it be ok to take the plant out of the tank for a few days and put it in a bucket filled with enough water to emerse the roots and leave it outside in the daytime everyday until the algae is gone, or will the plant die in unheated, probably unfertilised water? will the problem be solved if i place the right amount of liquid fertiliser in the bucket or will the anubias be fine just as it?
Thanks again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back