Can angel fish live in a 22 gallon tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Obsessed with fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Can I keep angel fish in a 22 gallon. My tank is 50cm tall, 48cn wide and 36cm thick. At first I thought it was 14 gallons. I looked the dimensions up on an online volume calculator and it turns out it is 22 gallons. Can I keep normal goumaris in the tank instead of dwarf goumaris? Can you look up the dimensions to and tell me your result.

It is only just big enough for Dwarf Cichlids. Keyholes are always a good starter for cichlids.

I suspect you measured the exterior and this is actually a 20 high. I would not keep keyholes in a 20 high. You might keep a pair of borelli (a very colourful personality fish); but if you keep a pair (female/male or trio female/female/male); you would need to well landscape it so the male can hide from the females with frys. You could try german blue rams if you have a fair amount of experience as they can be a bit delicate.

Apisto in general are very hearty but if you keep pairs of trio (males with females); depending on the specific species special care need to be taken. If you keep just male or males things are a bit easier. I mentioned borelli above because they are a bit smaller and adaptable to wide range of water parameters but there are others you could consider. I would avoid cockatoo which are fairly popular but extremely dull (boring) fish.

Last edited:
I suspect you measured the exterior and this is actually a 20 high. I would not keep keyholes in a 20 high. You might keep a pair of borelli (a very colourful personality fish); but if you keep a pair (female/male or trio female/female/male); you would need to well landscape it so the male can hide from the females with frys. You could try german blue rams if you have a fair amount of experience as they can be a bit delicate.

Apisto in general are very hearty but if you keep pairs of trio (males with females); depending on the specific species special care need to be taken. If you keep just male or males things are a bit easier. I mentioned borelli above because they are a bit smaller and adaptable to wide range of water parameters but their are others you could consider. I would avoid cockatoo which are fairly popular but extremely dull (boring) fish.
You have a huge amount of experience keeping dwarf cichlids I will keep that in mind for further threads.

Apisto in general are very hearty but if you keep pairs of trio (males with females); depending on the specific species special care need to be taken. If you keep just male or males things are a bit easier. I mentioned borelli above because they are a bit smaller and adaptable to wide range of water parameters but there are others you could consider. I would avoid cockatoo which are fairly popular but extremely dull (boring) fish.
I'll second the Apisto recommendation.
I had a pair of Redline who did rather well in my 20 gallon, before moving on to a tank of their own, where they are now apparently breeding.
I swapped those for three Cockatoo, (two female and a male) and these have also settled in nicely, with one smaller (younger) female laying. I'd struggle to call these 'boring'.

Granted, I am yet to see them execute a decent Paso Doble and his card tricks leave something to be desired, but still...
I appreciate that some fishkeepers do view aggression as entertainment, (present company excepted, I'm sure ;) ), but these would even fail in that regard.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back