Can algae eaters starve to death?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kevinsam

Reaction score
Wondering if too many plants will starve the algae eaters like otocinclus?

Otos will feed on biofilm and this does grow on plants. So the absence of visible algae is not necessarily a problem. However they do get through a lot and need to graze constantly.

So it is quite possible for them to starve and I would definitely add algae wafers if the tank seems to have no algae. I do keep my lights on for several hours longer than I used to before I got otos. Just don't go too far with this because they won't eat problem algae like bba.

Look at their bellies. Are they plump and rounded? When I got mine they were pretty underfed and had very flat tummys. Now they are nice and chubby :)

Look at their bellies. Are they plump and rounded? When I got mine they were pretty underfed and had very flat tummys. Now they are nice and chubby :)
Mine are kind of skinny. Looks like I'll have to feed them extra algae wafers.

Otos will feed on biofilm and this does grow on plants. So the absence of visible algae is not necessarily a problem. However they do get through a lot and need to graze constantly.

So it is quite possible for them to starve and I would definitely add algae wafers if the tank seems to have no algae. I do keep my lights on for several hours longer than I used to before I got otos. Just don't go too far with this because they won't eat problem algae like bba.
I like your idea of keeping the lights on longer. I'll try this to grow some more algae.

I discovered last night that mine LOVE blanched spinach. Took some of them a while to work out it was food but within a couple of hours they were all over it.

Big plus that lots of the other fish (and shrimp) liked this too. Another big plus that after 18 hours it is not noticeably decomposing or fouling the water. @Russjw by the time it got to lights out last night they were at it in all 3 tanks. I will definitely be adding this regularly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back