can albino pleco tolerate 74-76 degree weather

finfayce

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi
i have a freshwater aquarium of native north american fish. specifically rainbow darters and least darters. plus one blue spotted sunfish. the (30) tank accumulates algae. can a plecostomus tolerate that temperature range?
also the least darters adult length is 1 1/2”. they are smaller now. would a pleco (4 1/2”)
eat a small fish?

OP
finfayce

finfayce

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi
i have a freshwater aquarium of native north american fish. specifically rainbow darters and least darters. plus one blue spotted sunfish. the (30) tank accumulates algae. can a plecostomus tolerate that temperature range?
also the least darters adult length is 1 1/2”. they are smaller now. would a pleco (4 1/2”)
eat a small fish?
water not weather 🙄

Byron

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Depending upon the species, yes, many will be fine in the mid-70's. However, many will not touch certain species (or any species) of algae. It is never a good idea to get a fish to solve a "problem." Maintenance is safer. Plecos contribute quite a lot to the bioload as well.

OP
finfayce

finfayce

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Depending upon the species, yes, many will be fine in the mid-70's. However, many will not touch certain species (or any species) of algae. It is never a good idea to get a fish to solve a "problem." Maintenance is safer. Plecos contribute quite a lot to the bioload as well.
thanks. the problem is probably too much light. i read that these fish don’t like fluorescent lighting- i hav a small UVA-UVB shining about a foot and a half above the tank. the distance cuts down on extra heat. i hope that’s ok. i have lots of hiding spots- they are kinda shy.

Byron

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
thanks. the problem is probably too much light. i read that these fish don’t like fluorescent lighting- i hav a small UVA-UVB shining about a foot and a half above the tank. the distance cuts down on extra heat. i hope that’s ok. i have lots of hiding spots- they are kinda shy.

If you have live plants in the tank, then algae needs to be under control, and that is achieved by the light/nutrient balance. I can explain if asked. If no live plants, then algae is actually beneficial, because like higher plants it uses nutrients and produces oxygen, so it is strictly a question of personal taste how much you allow. Algae is natural and should be present in any healthy aquarium; we just want it under control especially with plants.

OP
finfayce

finfayce

Fishaholic
Reaction score
If you have live plants in the tank, then algae needs to be under control, and that is achieved by the light/nutrient balance. I can explain if asked. If no live plants, then algae is actually beneficial, because like higher plants it uses nutrients and produces oxygen, so it is strictly a question of personal taste how much you allow. Algae is natural and should be present in any healthy aquarium; we just want it under control especially with plants.
hi
i do have artificial plants and not a lot of algae. i feel better knowing my situation isn’t totally hamful. thanks. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Ch4rlie
    Moderate Moderating Moderator