Can a platy be gay?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Platys don't form pairs, but I see no reason why they wouldn't be 'gay'. Gender and orientation aren't a simple off on switch like we used to think, and there's a whole biochemical process that determines what's what. Humans aren't special creatures, and the processes that go on in us probably go on in other animals too. You can never be 100% sure, but that goes for any side of the argument.

Homosexuality does occur in other living creatures than humans as well... I'm also familiair with homosexuality in budgerigars. So, why not platies...?
But that doesn't mean that your platy is gay. And it's also been said over here, that this platy has been introduced recently. Each fish needs its own time to settle in. Which could also explain the behavior. That he decides to swim with another male first. But either way, nothing to be worry about...

once i had a female guppy turn into a beautiful male guppy. he was quite small when it happened tho

lgbtq fish.jpg

Wasn't there another thread months back where a platy was "gay"... I forget how it turned out but yah, it sure acted gay 😂

It always tried to impress the males instead of the females
That was my guppy, Menma! 😂😂

I put him in a tank with all 20 of my eligible ladies for 3 weeks and BAH! Avoided them like the plague and not a single fry since looks like him!

Gay bb boy just liked nipping at other males anal fins 😂😂

Attachments

• 928ECF21-BD32-4EB5-887F-B64C2FBB7434.jpeg
    928ECF21-BD32-4EB5-887F-B64C2FBB7434.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 51
Platys don't form pairs, but I see no reason why they wouldn't be 'gay'. Gender and orientation aren't a simple off on switch like we used to think, and there's a whole biochemical process that determines what's what. Humans aren't special creatures, and the processes that go on in us probably go on in other animals too. You can never be 100% sure, but that goes for any side of the argument.
I have a pair of green calico neon platys that I could swear are inseparable, you dont see 1 without the other by its side I mean touching each other me and my partner laughed when we got them about month and a half ago it's like looking in mirror they don't leave each others sides and the best bit about it is I have loadsss of their fry they are so good looking

I have a pair of green calico neon platys that I could swear are inseparable, you dont see 1 without the other by its side I mean touching each other me and my partner laughed when we got them about month and a half ago it's like looking in mirror they don't leave each others sides and the best bit about it is I have loadsss of their fry they are so good looking
Would love to see a pic of these! Sounds like a really nice colour :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back