Can a Moonlight Gourami be crossed with an Opaline

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Andrew Beard

Reaction score
I currently have a full-grown beautiful Opaline Gourami male. I've had him since he was a wee bitty baby. I am extremely proud of how well-tempered and beautiful he is. I was thinking about finding him a mate but I really would like a different Gourami. I was at the LFS and I saw this beautiful Moonlight Gourami female and I immediatley had an idea! Can the cross-breed?

Opaline gouramis and gold gouramis are both color morphs of the blue gourami, and there would be no problems if they bred, because they are the same species ;) There could be deformities if you tried to breed a blue gourami morph with a different species. I suppose you could try breeding them, only if you didn't trade the offspring to a store (if you had any offspring). Try to find a female blue/gold/opaline gourami before going for the moonlight :)

Three-spot gouramies (this includes opalines, golds, blues and 'cosby' gouramies - all of which are just color morphs of the same species) have been cross-bred with pearls succesfuly but I've never seen or heard of a breeding with moonlights. Personaly I would strongly discourage such hybridisation and instead urge you to get 2 female three-spot of a different color morph. Getting 2 will reduce aggression and the different color morphs look substantialy different to your opaline.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back