Can a betta be in a community tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Beckett

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Could a betta fish be a good top dwelling species to go in my 38 gallon tank with 12 Diamond Tetras, 5 bronze corys and 1 BN pleco?

I keep the water at 77 F, and the water is somewhat soft and acidic.

Trying to think of some good top dwellers for this tank, justnot hatchet fish they kinda creep me out haha.

Short answer no. Bettas are not community fish and shouldn’t be kept as such. Especially with tetras. Tetras are known fin nippers - this can stress the betta out severely or vise versa.

If you would like to keep a betta, I recommend you get him his own 10g tank. (Or 5g, but I prefer 10g tanks for bettas)

Unfortunately not :( Betta's are beautiful fish but arent for a community environment.

Better going for something like honey gourami's :)

Thanks folks! No betta then! I am trying to find a colorful fish that can be a top dweller and get along with my existing species. Would a type of Danio maybe be an option? Definitely not the giants... maybe cloud or zebra? Or is the water too warm?

Thanks folks! No betta then! I am trying to find a colorful fish that can be a top dweller and get along with my existing species. Would a type of Danio maybe be an option? Definitely not the giants... maybe cloud or zebra? Or is the water too warm?
77f (25c) is fine for Zebra danios.

Whats your tank dimensions?

36 inches long, 12.5 inches wide, 24 inches tall

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back