FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FrezhFinz

Reaction score
I had three tiger barbs in my ten gallon one of them was trying to become alpha it seems and was attacking one of the other tiger barbs so I removed the aggressive tiger barb and put him in another tank and then the next day I come home from work and the fish that was attacked by the aggressive barb now there is weird particles on the top of the water and my PH went to 7.5 is there a lot of ammonia in the water I donā€™t know what to do I donā€™t want the levels to get ruined please help! I only have api test strips I donā€™t have the master kit so I canā€™t measure the ammonia levels. Do I need to get ammonia lock or do a water change this is a new tank so I donā€™t think itā€™s been cycled fully yet.

I had three tiger barbs in my ten gallon one of them was trying to become alpha it seems and was attacking one of the other tiger barbs so I removed the aggressive tiger barb and put him in another tank and then the next day I come home from work and the fish that was attacked by the aggressive barb now there is weird particles on the top of the water and my PH went to 7.5 is there a lot of ammonia in the water I donā€™t know what to do I donā€™t want the levels to get ruined please help! I only have api test strips I donā€™t have the master kit so I canā€™t measure the ammonia levels. Do I need to get ammonia lock or do a water change this is a new tank so I donā€™t think itā€™s been cycled fully yet.
how long has your tank been set up? what do you feed your fish?
What do the particles look like?(photos?)
if you have an api test strip can you give us the approx. amounts of chemicals?

It's best to just do a water change with water conditioner anyway, that can't really hurt your cycle if it's like 50% and lower

how long has your tank been set up? what do you feed your fish?
What do the particles look like?(photos?)
if you have an api test strip can you give us the approx. amounts of chemicals?

It's best to just do a water change with water conditioner anyway, that can't really hurt your cycle if it's like 50% and lower
@JuiceBox52 Helped me out earlier and I am going to try a 50% water change how long should I wait to dechlorinate my water for like 30 min to be safe? Also no need to remove fish correct since itā€™s 50% water change should I feed my fish there last meal of the day after the tanks settles? ANd thank you both so much for the help really appreciate it!

Large water change straight away, 75%, which water conditioner are using? If you have an airstone, throw it in the bucket with the declorinator and let it aerate for five minutes, then water change. I do large water changes a few minutes after adding water conditioner, hasn't caused a problem. But make sure the temperature of the new water matches the tank temperature before adding it to the tank.

No need to remove the fish while doing the water change - leave them in there, it would only stress them out to move them, and there's no need.

Just read it again. Don't feed the fish. You're already dealing with high levels of ammonia and pollution in the water, don't add more waste to it! (it's waste whether eaten by the fish or not, either way it'll produce more ammonia).
Fish can go a long time without food, don't be afraid to fast them, especially in these sort of cirumstances. Get the ammonia under control via large water changes first, only when that's settled do you feed again, and then only lightly. People tend to overfeed, and that's the last thing you need in a tank that's fluctuating.

Just read it again. Don't feed the fish. You're already dealing with high levels of ammonia and pollution in the water, don't add more waste to it! (it's waste whether eaten by the fish or not, either way it'll produce more ammonia).
Fish can go a long time without food, don't be afraid to fast them, especially in these sort of cirumstances. Get the ammonia under control via large water changes first, only when that's settled do you feed again, and then only lightly. People tend to overfeed, and that's the last thing you need in a tank that's fluctuating.
I have API Tap water conditioner it says extra strengthen and okay understood will do!!

I have API Tap water conditioner it says extra strengthen and okay understood will do!!
Hurry. Every minute the fish are swimming in the water, the ammonia is burning them, burning their gills. Add the API water conditioner to the new water, stir it in, and go, it'll be fine. But the water change is urgent.

Hurry. Every minute the fish are swimming in the water, the ammonia is burning them, burning their gills. Add the API water conditioner to the new water, stir it in, and go, it'll be fine. But the water change is urgent.
Can I accidentally overdose my fish with dechlorinate ??

I can't believe you're still here reading, why haven't you done the water change yet??
Yes it's possible to overdose with declorinator, follow the dosage directly. There's some room for error, but aim to use the amount the directions say. No more, no less.
You're going to find more dead fish if you don't do this water chance NOW. It's an emergency!!

@JuiceBox52 Helped me out earlier and I am going to try a 50% water change how long should I wait to dechlorinate my water for like 30 min to be safe? Also no need to remove fish correct since itā€™s 50% water change should I feed my fish there last meal of the day after the tanks settles? ANd thank you both so much for the help really appreciate it!
you should feed your fish something that can boost their immune
Large water change straight away, 75%, which water conditioner are using? If you have an airstone, throw it in the bucket with the declorinator and let it aerate for five minutes, then water change. I do large water changes a few minutes after adding water conditioner, hasn't caused a problem. But make sure the temperature of the new water matches the tank temperature before adding it to the tank.

No need to remove the fish while doing the water change - leave them in there, it would only stress them out to move them, and there's no need.
i usually dechlor the water in the bucket, is that what you mean?
It's usually not a big problem lol. focus on UNDERdosing :)

Can I accidentally overdose my fish with dechlorina

I got it all finished everyone!!! So far everyone is doing great but my readings are GH-120 , KH-80, PH-7.5 No2-0 No3-0 but I donā€™t know if that to soon but still wanted to check

Better to fast the fish for a few days
Yes, declor before adding it to the tank. I usually just stir it in and add within a few minutes.
No, not underdosing either. Declorinators have directions for how much to use for how many gallons of water. Follow the directions.
I got it all finished everyone!!! So far everyone is doing great but my readings are GH-120 , KH-80, PH-7.5 No2-0 No3-0 but I donā€™t know if that to soon but still wanted to check

Glad it's finally done! And that the rest of the fish seem okay. You really need a kit to be able to test ammonia, but in the meantime, if there's every any doubt, if the fish seem off, if a fish dies, if you get a reading for nitrites, then a large water change is an emergency situation. Ammonia and nitrites literally burn them, they're breathing it in through their gills and it does damage. That's why we were urging you to hurry. If nitrAtes read as above 20ppm, then a water change is in order then as well.
You'll want to test the water again often, in case levels rise again overnight.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back