calling shrimp owning people!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

millym

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hi
we have 5 algae eating shrimps in our tank ( been there for about 4 months) caridina japonica. & have just noticed for the past week one is carrying a load of eggs in its back legs. how long do they carry them for??? will they hide them to hatch??? what can we do to try & save some babies???
any ideas most appreciated as we dont have a clue

i am not sure how long it will take for her to drop them but once they are dropped it will take just under a month to hatch,
when they do there will be teeny weeny miniature versions of the parents (between 7-500 depending on species and conditions)
within the first 24hours they will go through their first molt where alot of them usually die off :/
the fry that survive the first few weeks will make it to adulthood (but don't feel bad if they all die)

my best advice is for you to give them several good hiding spots to choose from
make sure the holes to get in are as small as possible while still allowing access for the adult shrimp

any more questions?

thanks
we've got loads of rock caves in our tank with lots of hidey holes/cracks so hopefully mum shrimp will find a spot where the rest of the fish in our tank wont find the eggs.
fingers crossed we get some little uns :D

They don't survive. If you want to breed them you need brackish water for eggs/babies to raise them - it's very difficult. There are couple sites on internet where it is told, how they are bred.

millym, can you tell me where you bought them (PM me)? I will be looking to buy some in a couple of months for my new tank.

Try this site for info Shrimps tstenback gave me the link on another post. It is very interesting.

Si

i'd take the shrimp with the eggs and put it in something by itself or with the other shrimp. that way when they hatch they wont get sucked up the filter or eaten by the fish. by some moss for them to hide in as well.

Most reactions

Back