Calculating Volume Of Sand

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Blobfish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what the calculation for sand volume for a tank might be?  I want a good inch covering of Unipac silver sand (river sand?) and I think I will have to get my lfs to order it in for me so it would help would help if I could work out how much I might need,  any ideas appreciated :)

Last week I changed from gravel to sand in my 110 litre tank and that is at a depth of about an inch depending on where I measure and I used 15kg. I hope this helps from Tom

I heard at some place (might be on this forum) that a general rule was 1pound per litre of water.

Thanks for the replies.

Seal36, that's very helpful but could you tell me the dimensions of your tank - just the length and width - so I can translate that to mine.

l_l_l, I'd not thought about whether it would relate to the volume of water.  So deeper tanks would need more substrate?

It is
79cm long
34 cm deep
45 cm high

Glad I can help from Tom

Blobfish said:
Thanks for the replies.

Seal36, that's very helpful but could you tell me the dimensions of your tank - just the length and width - so I can translate that to mine.

l_l_l, I'd not thought about whether it would relate to the volume of water.  So deeper tanks would need more substrate?

Oh ...
Well, I did say : "general rule"!
And it's 1 pound per gallon, in usual shapped aquarium..

Now I'm not sure about else.

7 litres of sand will give you a one inch covering for your tank. This equates to 10kg(22lb).

I proberly could have got away with 13kg of sand but I did lose a fair bit when I was washing it in my sink but i love my tank now that it has sand instead of multi coloured gravel and the sand from argos only cost £3 for 15kg from Tom

Just for those who are interested in having sand as substrate, do be aware not to make sand substrate too deep, 2 inches of sand is enough if you want a live planted tank, 1 inch or less is fine for those who do not want live plants.

The reason I mention this is mainly down to something called anaerobic pockets, which is basically where organic material is consumed by bacteria without oxygen and this in turn produces a pocket of Hydrogen Sulphide. These pockets when disturbed or simply released from sand, will simply go into the tank water, this can be fatal to fish.

Best ways to try and avoid this occurring is to gravel vac surface of sand well then stir the sand to let air in to stop these anaerobic pockets from forming during routine maintenance clean.

Also have heard MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) are pretty good for burrowing into the sand and aerating the sand and also eats organic matter.

Just a tip for those who are not aware. 
smile.png

Hey! I have put eco complete and mixed it with flourite and it's still settling down after 24 hours..
I hope it does settle down one day it has been 24 hours now.

Ch4rlie, do you think I should get those snails in the future for this type of sand?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back