Cabomba Banned By The Eu

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Akasha72

Warning - Mad Cory Woman
Reaction score
Called at my lfs this morning with some amazon sword plantlets and some cabomba shoots only to be told the cabomba is now illegal.

As of yesterday (15th July 2016) cabomba is classed as an invasive species and, like our beloved apple snails, has been banned.

The sooner we get away from this bunch of idiots the better.

#handsoffourhobby

I wouldn't call the EU stupid, I'd call the people that put them in lakes and rivers the real stupid ones. It's people like this that will overall destroy the hobby once and for all.

True.  The illegal trade in exotic "pets" along with the release of non-native species of fish, amphibians and aquatic plants whether it be in the UK, the EU, Australia or North America has caused the extinction of some native species and threatened many others.  

At a time when our environment is under serious threat on several fronts, it is only to be expected that stricter controls will follow, and it is well nigh time they did.  Irresponsibility by the few has to be taken seriously by all of us; too many in this hobby still see fish and plants as expendable and not anywhere close to the "higher" animals.

I for one do not expect the UK to do anything but follow suit, regardless of the politics which donot even belong in this discussion.  To be marching to a different drummer than the rest of Europe, North America and Australia is not going to help protect our environment.  The US and Canada have laws in place concerning many species.  This is all part of a much bigger problem.

I guess I didn't see it that way ... purely because it would never occur to me to do something irresponsible. I guess because of that I'm guilty of thinking everyone else is the same but I've given a bit more consideration to the topic and I can see that that is not the case. It's very sad though ... that it's come to this due to the irresponsibility of a few 

Akasha72 said:
It's very sad though ... that it's come to this due to the irresponsibility of a few
That, unfortunately, seems to be the case in a lot of laws in the US as well. For example: magnetic toys have been made less strong than the ones from the 80s, simply because some kid was left alone with them (mind, this was an 8-year-old, so this was not all the parent's fault, as the kid was obviously not the smartest) and he died because he swallowed two and they got stuck together. Now we're all paying for it by not having strong magnetic toys.

but don't you think that's a bit 'over-kill' .... back when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's we were told things like ... 'if you torment that dog and it bites you don't come crying to me' but now it's the dogs fault and it gets put down. We were allowed to climb trees and if we fell and broke a bone we got taken to the hospital ... these days you get taken to the hospital and social services are called on the parents. These examples of how the world has changed can go on and on. These days we always have to find blame 

With the banning of aquatics plants and aquatic snails  ... why do they have to be banned ... why can't the EU just attempt to educate rather than go to the extreems of banning something?

How are we as humans ever going to learn by our mistakes if no one is willing to teach us what we are doing wrong?

Unfortunately leglislators tend to legislate for the lowest IQ, therefore things that many people would not think of doing because its down right stupid/ dangerous and all the sane/ sensible people have to follow the new "imporved safety" laws. For example how many kids back in the 70's-80's early 90's honestly thought that by putting on a Superman or Batman outfit they would be able to fly and have super powers? Now days all superhero outfits have a disclaimer tag in them stating that the outfit will not allow you to fly or have super powers. I know a lot of this also comes from sue happy parents, because it could never have been their fault for not teaching their child some reality or responsibility for climbing up that tree/ building and leaping out expecting to fly, it had to have been the makers of the outfits fault for their own and their childs stupidity.
In Queensland right now many people are shocked and surprised to learn that  there is now leglislation in place stating that a child under the age of 12 can NOT make their way to school on their own. In fact I think the law reads no child under the age of 12 can be without adult supervision at all times,or at least by an older child of around 14. I can see one side of the coin that is all about child safety and ensuring no child can then be kidnapped/ assulted/ murdered or even bullied by other kids, or run over because the kid was walking down the middle of the road like farmer Browns Cows. (Many parents are at fault here because they start the kids off early in prams/ strollers walking on the road rather than the foot path - but thats a whole other bug bear of mine) BUT the filp side of this "must protect the kiddies at all costs" coin is that parents are instilling in thier child a sense of unease and fear of the greater world. Children need time away from their parents to make mistakes (yes even some painful ones that end in broken bones), they need that outside awareness rather than having their nose glued to a phone and everyone else making sure the kid doesnt trip/ fall or bump into somebody else. I know as a kid probably from the age of 5 my parents really would not of had any idea where I was on any given afternoon after school or on weekends when we where not doing a family thing. I was invariably off in the bush somewhere or riding my bike around the town visiting different friends (riding with road signals and following the road rules that my parents had taught me I might add), it wasn't that my parents didn't care, it was simply they knew they had taught me right from wrong and the dangers (besides strangers) that I needed to watchout for like rouge water buffalo, crocodiles, and poisonous snakes. I loved the freedoms I got to enjoy as a child growing up, but sadly leglislation now prevents other kids from having those same freedoms to learn and explore.

It all reminds me of a saying
The world has gone crazy and I want to get off.

your not the only one Baccus... there are days I'd like someone to stop the world so I could get off too. Health and safety gone mad, insane human rights laws that give a murderer more rights than their victims family ... it just goes on and on.

When we kids we watched Tom and Jerry smacking each other over the head with frying pans, dropping anvils on each other and many other violent acts. We never felt the need to copy and that was because, like you said, we were taught right from wrong at an early age.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of listening to a parent verbally abuse his child ... and I'm talking effing ... I wouldn't speak to an adult the way he was speaking to his child and he shouts at his child in this way every single day ... and then he wonders why his child won't do as he's told and his behaviour is getting worse. The world has certainly changed and not for the better

Anyway ... we digress 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back