Cabbage White Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

coldcazzie

Ice Queen
Reaction score
Well the kids and I found some Cabbage White caterpillars on one of the nasturtiums last week, which I was expecting, but then on another plant we found some recently laid eggs, so I thought I'd take some pictures and see if I could do a journal of them growing, hopefully all the ways to butterflies!

Here's the eggs:
IMG_4780.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

Here are the caterpillars we found on the other plant. When we first found them they were all as big as the left one, and there were a lot of them. Now there are fewer (and rather a lot of shriveled bodies) and the ones that are left are as big as the right one. I can only assume they died in the heat over the weekend...
IMG_4782.jpg

Noticed the eggs were grey but forgot to take a picture. Assumed they were close to hatching.

6.7.11 (today)
Eggs had hatched by this morning, and caterpillars were busy eating the egg cases. Busy day so didn't get to take picture until this evening, by which time half of them had gone. These were the one's that were still there. Sorry picture is darker - light was not as good today.
IMG_4785.jpg

IMG_4787.jpg

A single one on the back of the leaf. (hope you can all see it!)
IMG_4786.jpg

Will keep updating as I take more pictures :)

I have more pictures, but not uploaded them yet, will get on it over the weekend... currently latest update is that there is a rather fat caterpillar on our living room window which I think may be going to chrysalis itself (dunno what the scientific term is :lol: ) - which would be really cool cuz then the kids might be able to watch when it eventually emerges! :hyper:

when i was at primary school i collected some eggs i thought would be caterpillars, they hatched into slugs :/ hahahaha

So, I know it's been a while :rolleyes: the swarm of tiny caterpillars I found at the end of the previous post vanished without a trace, and there was nothing for a while. Then I saw a butterfly making little deposits all over the leaves, so I snapped a pic.

IMG_4885.jpg

While watching her laying her eggs I found these: (sorry it's out of focus)
IMG_4886.jpg

Then we had loads of wet weather so I didn't take any pictures for ages, and when it occurred to me again to take some, this is what I found!

IMG_5024.jpg

IMG_5025.jpg

IMG_5026.jpg

IMG_5027.jpg

IMG_5028.jpg

IMG_5029.jpg

IMG_5030.jpg

Same day, I also found a caterpillar half way up my living room window. From the inside:
IMG_5020.jpg

From the outside:
IMG_5023.jpg

And I found one higher up on the window frame:
IMG_5022.jpg

And one on the front door frame:
IMG_5021.jpg

Next day, the one on the window frame has cocooned itself:
IMG_5034.jpg

Door frame is still the same:
IMG_5033.jpg

Window frame has a bit of silk around it to anchor it to the window:
IMG_5031.jpg

IMG_5032.jpg

14.8.11 (yesterday)
Unfortunately window is no more - I have discovered a rather suspicious looking splat on the window/window ledge underneath where it was. Suspect a bird has had itself a tasty snack :sad:
Door frame is now cocooned, no picture though as camera batteries have run out and haven't put new ones in yet.

Thanks Mark, I'm hoping if I'm vigilant I'll get some pictures of the butterflies as/when they emerge! :hyper:

I always love watching the development from egg to butterfly. I especially love caterpillars, they are cute.

I had exactly the same little bliters eat my whole cauliflower crop this year. There was hundreds of them. Good luck in catching them turning into flutterbies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back