Byron - October 2021 Tank of the Month Winner (17-30 Gal)

With those other entries of some very beautiful and appropriate (to the fish) tanks, I really was quite doubtful mine would end up the winner. Thank you to all who voted not just for my tank but the other members' tanks too.

And a very special thank you to all who have made congratulatory posts in this present thread.

I would like to use this opportunity to say that this past year (beginning in August/September 2020) has been difficult beyond belief. I do not for a second imagine that I am any worse off than so many others who have fought terminal cancer whether successfully or not, but when it happens it is for most I'm sure still difficult to come to terms with. My fish have had neglect quite unlike anything that any fish I have owned have ever experienced. But the present fish that have been with me for more than a decade have demonstrated their resilience too. I've no doubt that my constant maintenance and especially my approach to aquarium fish over these years did provide them with the physical well-being that has enabled them to survive. In fact, a parallel to my own life. It has been obvious along the way that my relatively good health for 70 years is one reason my system has responded as well as it has. I am on borrowed time, no doubt about that, but when my oncologist tells me that my response to the radiation, chemotherapy and now immunotherapy is beyond anything he ever imagined even remotely possible given the aggressive state of the cancer just a year ago...well, who knows. I told him I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet. Like the fish I look after, the will to survive is indeed an important factor.

Thanks again, and my best wishes to everyone.

With those other entries of some very beautiful and appropriate (to the fish) tanks, I really was quite doubtful mine would end up the winner. Thank you to all who voted not just for my tank but the other members' tanks too.

And a very special thank you to all who have made congratulatory posts in this present thread.

I would like to use this opportunity to say that this past year (beginning in August/September 2020) has been difficult beyond belief. I do not for a second imagine that I am any worse off than so many others who have fought terminal cancer whether successfully or not, but when it happens it is for most I'm sure still difficult to come to terms with. My fish have had neglect quite unlike anything that any fish I have owned have ever experienced. But the present fish that have been with me for more than a decade have demonstrated their resilience too. I've no doubt that my constant maintenance and especially my approach to aquarium fish over these years did provide them with the physical well-being that has enabled them to survive. In fact, a parallel to my own life. It has been obvious along the way that my relatively good health for 70 years is one reason my system has responded as well as it has. I am on borrowed time, no doubt about that, but when my oncologist tells me that my response to the radiation, chemotherapy and now immunotherapy is beyond anything he ever imagined even remotely possible given the aggressive state of the cancer just a year ago...well, who knows. I told him I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet. Like the fish I look after, the will to survive is indeed an important factor.

Thanks again, and my best wishes to everyone.
Relatively good news Byron.
Hoping you'll be here for a long time.
Who else could be the walking encyclopedia in our hobby

I have disagreed with you once in a while but your knowledge is outstanding and one of a kind.

A shout out to the newcomers who maybe won't know : I've recently read several threads the knowledge and posts of Byron being questioned in an unreasable and sometimes quite offensive way Personally I think Byron deserves all kinds of respect over the many years he is sharing his knowledge on this forum. Disagreement okay but only in a respectful way. If not I ask the mods to interfere and take action.

Thanks again so far Byron. Stay strong and stay here !!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations on the win! Well deserved. Incredible tank. This forum wouldn’t be what it is without you, and I’m sure many people (including myself) would never have had the ability to get to where they are with their tanks today without your patient guidance, respectful arguments, thorough explanations, and sound, broad minded reasoning.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back