Buying shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

myrxn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Where would you guys say the best and cheapest (including postage) UK place to buy shrimp is? Iā€™m trying to look but itā€™s tricky as all the postage is so high or itā€™s all out of stock

Have you looked at your local shops? Maidenhead Aquatics sells shrimps, though different branches sell different colours. Maybe give your local shops a ring to see what they stock?
If you want a specific type, you do need to buy on-line. I know that ProShrimp isn't selling shrimps at the moment because they don't trust couriers to get them to you overnight.

My local store atm didnā€™t have anything really, I could always take a look at Maidenhead when the lockdown is over, I think I would wanna buy some online though but Iā€™m not sure where to get them from :/

There are Ebay sellers, look at the seller's feedback if you consider buying from there. And bear in mind that some sellers make their shrimps sound better than they really are. The only other on-line shop I'm aware of is ProShrimp - when they start posting again.

Take a look on aquarists classified website. Thereā€™s always people with hundreds of shrimp to sell on there. You can search by county, subject etc.

I bought my shrimp of ebay can't remember the name sorry but I just looked for good feedback and someone who has been selling them for a while.

Have you looked at your local shops? Maidenhead Aquatics sells shrimps, though different branches sell different colours. Maybe give your local shops a ring to see what they stock?
If you want a specific type, you do need to buy on-line. I know that ProShrimp isn't selling shrimps at the moment because they don't trust couriers to get them to you overnight.
Maidenhead aquatics are expensive and small - twice or 3x what you'd pay on eBay.

Don't forget you need to factor in the cost of delivery from Ebay or other on-line shop - unless you can find a seller close enough to collect in person.

Yes there is that and always the risk that buying distantly you will be disappointed with what you receive but lfs were charging Ā£1.50 for babies that stand a good chance of being eaten and you don't know how well they will colour up. Maidenhead are charging Ā£3.50 for little better.

On eBay I've brought Sakura quality cherry shrimp even including postage/packing/delivery for less than Ā£3 and have rarely been disappointed (even that was compensated for with the plants included to make their journey less stressful).

I must admit I've never bought shrimps from Maidenhead Aquatics, or even looked at the price, I have just noticed they sell them. Mine came from other local fish shops and they cost a lot less than the price you give for MA.

I must admit I've never bought shrimps from Maidenhead Aquatics, or even looked at the price, I have just noticed they sell them. Mine came from other local fish shops and they cost a lot less than the price you give for MA.
When I drove, pre shrimp days, I used to go to many lfs bit don't anymore. There was a fish farm fairly close that always had fish at the best prices locally but I think it closed just as shrimp were coming onto the market so at that time expensive. So not really in position to comment more widely outside of what I've mentioned.

Was thinking as a birthday treat today to travel around a few and see what temperate fish and shrimp could get.

i got a small tank complete with filter and loads of shrimps for Ā£20, not seen anything close on gumtree since :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back