Buying plants online (uk)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JohnnyFish

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for buying plants online in the uk, and wether there's any websites to stay clear of? I've found some plants on Java Plants.... are they Amy good? I would normally just get Tropica from my local pets at home, put they can't get any deliveries at the moment. ;(

thanks

If I remember right there was another thread here about plants in the UK. It was talking something about restrictions on importing aquarium plants are making it harder to get them, but really I don't remember too much about it.

I have not used Java Plants myself so I can't comment on them.

Plants come into the UK from many countries, but those grown in the EU are now subject to extra taxes (or something) which makes them more expensive. The difference between EU and non-EU grown plants is that any plant grown outside the EU has to be treated to kill snails, but these chemicals kill the snails we want and also shrimps. They are also often treated with insecticide which will also kill shrimps and snails.
If you don't have shrimps or snails then you can get plants from anywhere, but if you do have them you have to be careful. There are on-line shops and Ebay sellers who in the past have sold shrimp safe plants but they are running out of stock bought before we left the EU finally at the end of last year.

I don't know if these shops will be restocking. If they do the plants will cost more than they used to but those of us with shrimps and/or snails would be willing to pay the extra to keep our inverts safe.

If you don't need shrimp safe plants, look on Ebay - but check the seller feedback.

As Essjay has put above there is a massive problem with importing plants to the UK from europe right now which is where all the good nurseries are. The issue rather than taxes is that they are subject to a vetting process which means they require some kind of plant passport in order to make it to the shop, these are expensive, beurocratic and long winded and for small orders it just seems like its not worth it. Some of the good shops are totally out of stock like you say with P@H, I've seen on some groups that there are big orders coming to the UK soon from Tropica but could be a while and likely a bit more expensive than usual.

In terms of shops I've used these in the past, would recommend them all but like I say some of them are nearly totally out of stock right now.
  • World of Mosses
  • Pro Shrimp
  • Scaped Nature
  • Horizon Aquatics
  • Riverwood Aquatics
  • Plants Alive
  • Java Plants
  • Aquarium Gardens
Wills

I knew there was something causing problems and expense, but I just couldn't remember what it was :blush:

My LFS is doing just fine with plants and he does post. Top guy who branched out on his own after working the aquariums at Chester Zoo for a number of years. You can find him on Facebook and has his own website.
Premier Aquatics, top fella Ste is too.

Sounds to me like a great opportunity for someone, with the means to do so, who loves fish keeping and aquariums in the UK to start their own aquarium plant business.

Sounds to me like a great opportunity for someone, with the means to do so, who loves fish keeping and aquariums in the UK to start their own aquarium plant business.
I've seen rumors but the ability to replicate what companies like Aquaflora and Tropica do is going to be tough and realistically can the UK hobby sustain a business like that by its self? I think the more likely option is that the asian plant farms who are used to all the paper work will supply more and eventually the European suppliers will adapt to the system, Tropica and Aquaflora have both said publicaly that they intent to keep supplying the UK they just need to work out how.

My LFS is doing just fine with plants and he does post. Top guy who branched out on his own after working the aquariums at Chester Zoo for a number of years. You can find him on Facebook and has his own website.
Premier Aquatics, top fella Ste is too.
Yep I know who you mean very jealous that is your LFS :p

thanks for all the advice guys, the plants I'm looking at on 'java plants' are Tropica which are dutch or danish right? the website seems to indicate they have plenty stock so it should be okay. ill let you know what they are like I suppose lol

Most reactions

trending

Back