buying plants on-line

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jaylach

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I just bought several plants on-line from an outfit called WetPlants... I hope they are decent. :dunno:

Here is what I got:
1 Anubias
2 Java Ferns
2 Crypt Wendtii Green
2 Myrio Green
1 Java Moss Portion Cup

Also having a 'mystery pack' thrown which I have no idea as to content... LOL! Wouldn't be a mystery if I knew. ;) It is supposed to contain 5 plants; example would be 2 bunch plants, 1 crypt plant, 1 sword plant and 1 bulb.

BTW, what thew heck is a 'crypt plant'??

Also, did I make acceptable choices, not counting the mystery thing, as to easy starter plants?

A crypt plant is short for a cryptocoryne which is a type of aquatic plant.

Nice bundle of plants you got! Hopefully they all arrive healthy!

A crypt plant is short for a cryptocoryne which is a type of aquatic plant.

Nice bundle of plants you got! Hopefully they all arrive healthy!
Thanks. :)

I plan on gluing the Anubias and Java Ferns on my fake tree trunk. I'll have to see what is in the mystery package before I'll know what I'll do with the rest. I got some Seachem Flourish Glue for attaching things.

Ya, I hope they get here healthy too! From other threads you've seen I'm sure not buying live plants from Petco again. Also the one plant I bought through Etsy showed up next to dead in a crushed container. Not putting down Etsy as a whole, just the seller. Actually the Etsy seller offered to ship another plant but wanted me to change my review from a 1 to a 5 rating to do so which isn't going to happen. At least WetPlants offers a healthy arrival guarantee.

Looking at WetPlant's FAQ page which is short they seem decent but you can't always trust what you read... ;)

Thanks. :)

I plan on gluing the Anubias and Java Ferns on my fake tree trunk. I'll have to see what is in the mystery package before I'll know what I'll do with the rest. I got some Seachem Flourish Glue for attaching things.

Ya, I hope they get here healthy too! From other threads you've seen I'm sure not buying live plants from Petco again. Also the one plant I bought through Etsy showed up next to dead in a crushed container. Not putting down Etsy as a whole, just the seller. Actually the Etsy seller offered to ship another plant but wanted me to change my review from a 1 to a 5 rating to do so which isn't going to happen. At least WetPlants offers a healthy arrival guarantee.

Looking at WetPlant's FAQ page which is short they seem decent but you can't always trust what you read... ;)
Well... See... It wasn't the sellers fault. It was the shipping and transit. I bet you anything that the seller packed it with care but then somewhere along the way it was ccrushed. If it were me I would have asked for my money back and then given a 4 star review explaining what happened.
The seller wanted to correct the situation. So I'm going to say I think it is unfair of you to keep it at one star but that is your decision.

Well... See... It wasn't the sellers fault. It was the shipping and transit. I bet you anything that the seller packed it with care but then somewhere along the way it was ccrushed. If it were me I would have asked for my money back and then given a 4 star review explaining what happened.
The seller wanted to correct the situation. So I'm going to say I think it is unfair of you to keep it at one star but that is your decision.
If the packaging had been proper I would agree with what you say but there wasn't even any bubble wrap, just a retail package. The plant was just loose in a box. Also, since the box was fine, the plant package had to be crushed before shipping.

If the packaging had been proper I would agree with what you say but there wasn't even any bubble wrap, just a retail package. The plant was just loose in a box. Also, since the box was fine, the plant package had to be crushed before shipping.
Mmm ok...

I just bought several plants on-line from an outfit called WetPlants... I hope they are decent. :dunno:

Here is what I got:
1 Anubias
2 Java Ferns
2 Crypt Wendtii Green
2 Myrio Green
1 Java Moss Portion Cup

Also having a 'mystery pack' thrown which I have no idea as to content... LOL! Wouldn't be a mystery if I knew. ;) It is supposed to contain 5 plants; example would be 2 bunch plants, 1 crypt plant, 1 sword plant and 1 bulb.

BTW, what thew heck is a 'crypt plant'??

Also, did I make acceptable choices, not counting the mystery thing, as to easy starter plants?

i might just be bad at growing plants wheni was a beginner, but the java fern and myrio green i got all melted

after i got an aquarium light, the green grew a tiny little stem :)

Mmm ok...
Here is the packaging. The box is totally fine and the silver bag that held the retail package has no padding...

IMG_2354.JPG

i might just be bad at growing plants wheni was a beginner, but the java fern and myrio green i got all melted

after i got an aquarium light, the green grew a tiny little stem :)
Don't yet know about the green but did you plant the Java in the substrate? If so the black rhizome above the roots must be above the substrate or it is likely to rot.

Here is the packaging. The box is totally fine and the silver bag that held the retail package has no padding...

View attachment 163808

Don't yet know about the green but did you plant the Java in the substrate? If so the black rhizome above the roots must be above the substrate or it is likely to rot.
no, it was probably my water

Anyway... New substrate is supposed to show up in a day and I'll totally tear down the tank and scrub. The tank will steep like a cup of tea for awhile as the new plants won't even be shipped till the week of 8/1 which is fine as that will give some time for the nitrogen cycle to get going.

Actually totally redoing the tank isn't all bad except for the dead fish. I will end up with a tank that will, in my opinion, look better while being healthier. I will also be able to do some things I wanted to do but kept putting off.

I understand what to do do with most of the plants I ordered but not the Java Moss Portion Cup. What does that mean? Would this be a moss ball or a culture to start a moss layer?

Its likely just a bunch of java moss stuffed in a cup :)
Thanks! :) I have to admit to having very little experience with live plants. I've had a few now and then but this will be my first attempt with going totally live.

Just did a search on Java Moss and it looks to be quite versatile. Seems that you can just toss it in and let it float, attach to objects or plant in the substrate. Could be interesting to use in a couple of ways...

Thanks! :) I have to admit to having very little experience with live plants. I've had a few now and then but this will be my first attempt with going totally live.

Just did a search on Java Moss and it looks to be quite versatile. Seems that you can just toss it in and let it float, attach to objects or plant in the substrate. Could be interesting to use in a couple of ways...
It won't float of it's own accord. It will sink. You can use a cork or airline tubing to make it float.

I just took chance on flame moss from Amazon. Cousin of java moss. Came in beautiful and green. I took mine and separated into 8. Then glued with gorilla super glue gell onto individual river rocks. Then spread rocks throughout tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back