Buying Online?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Madjonny

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What are people's experiences from buying plants and fish online?

I honestly didn't know you could buy fish online until recently,
And now I'm really getting into fish keeping I want to get another tank.

However now iv been browsing online there is just so much more choice, alot more species iv never seen in shops etc...

How safe is it?

its fairly safe, iv bought tons of plants online and shrimp as well 

I have used a few different retailers for bog wood/plants/food/filters, all these I have been happy with.

For live fish/invertebrates always make sure you check their policies for dead on arrival and how they will package and deliver the fish/invertebrates.

eBay is a good place to look for live fish etc as you can check  sellers feedback and buyers comments before you purchase, I would always contact any seller or website before you buy if you have any worries.

I have bought fush online with the greatest of results. :)

Tried to get floating plants from a seller on e-bay. What a disappointment, all that was in the little baggie was green water and some miniature little leafs that could not be salvaged. Mind you, ordering (getting them shipped) in the summer did not help, so I would try an online order again, provided the season is right! :)

I've ordered many fish online (aquabid) with great success. I've never had an issue with fish from online, but I've had more issues with plants from online sellers.

I ordered plants from liveaquaria.com with awesome results.

I bought a few fish online now; Kesgrave Tropicals on eBay are very good, IMO.

You just have to spend extra time acclimatising, preferably in the dark.

It probably depends where you buy them from.
Make sure you take a picture of the fish while still in the bags if you get any dead on arrival but generally I've had no problems, nor did I get any dead or diseased fish, or disease outbreaks. Where I buy them from they arrive in great condition.

You need to be prepared to drip acclimate them, not to stress them with sudden bright lights, etc..Get the camera ready just in case...It's as safe as buying fish directly from the shop if the place you buy is decent. Fish can travel if well packed.

Have a container/bucket where you can put them in to acclimate. Have your ammonia and Ph test on hand too, if the difference between yours and the fish water is great as in Ph, make sure you acclimate(drip water from the main tank) until they equalize. If there's lots of ammonia in their water, make sure to remove some water from the container while dripping new one from your tank as often as you can without stressing the fish, so eventually the ammonia will be gone. You can put a drop of prime if you have it to nutralize any ammonia. And top up the tank with dechlorinated, temperature matched water while acclimating, so you don't have to turn off the filter/heater in the main tank.
Once done, net them in the tank, turn off the tank lights and feed them a bit. If the tank has other fish, make sure to feed the other fish before putting new ones in case some larger fish of yours think food is coming.

So basically, reduce stress as much as you can by properly acclimating them, keeping them in the dark and feeding them a bit after. And of course a well cycled tank to put them in with proper tank mates and suitable decoration with hiding spots.

Thanks, I will bare all the above in mind...

Glad kesgrave aquatics are good, iv enquirer about scarlet badis from there...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back