Buying Fish Online

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PlumbersMerchant

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Another random one from me I'm afraid but where does everyone buy their fish and plants ? Do you go through your LFS or on the internet ?

I understand that if it's something unusual it might be easier to go straight online and 'cut out the middle man' but does anyone have any experience if this ?

Also if anyone could recommend any sites that would be great, cheers in advance

Plumbers Merchant

I buy mainly locally, but I have bought online 3 times, and had a problem on one of those occasions. As regards to recommendations, different merchants have different specialities, so it's difficult to say without knowing what you're after.

Some sellers, particularly privateers, won't despatch during winter, even with a heat pack.

I've bought quite a lot of fish online, as I live in the middle of nowhere and only have one 'proper' fish shop I can easily get to (my next nearest one is a hour and a half bus ride away!).

Kesgrave Tropicals, Trimar and Rare Aquatics all have a good reputation for online sales.

You will need to take some care over acclimatising; always drip acclimatise, in a dimly lit room, any lifestock you buy online. I killed the first lot of fish I bought online by holding the bags up in the light to check them over; I think the shock must have killed them; I didn't even get them into my tank
yay.gif
(

Just so there is more than one opinion on this topic. I have bought about 85% of my fish shipped in. They are intransit anywhere from 24 to those boxes that went astray and too 3 or 4 days to arrive. I do not drip acclimate, I mostly plop and drop. I do not bother about lighting, the first thing I do is inspect the condition of the fish in the bag under sufficient light to know what is in the bag and what condition it is in.

I do temperature match to some extent and often do a limited acclimation in a bucket when enough fish are involved. Its easier to pour 30 fish out of bags into a bucket and deal with them all at once than having to mess about with 3 or 4 bags individually.

While many sw keepers will swear by drip acclimation, most large scale fw fish importers will tell you drop acclimating kills more fish than plopping or dropping. This all had to do with conditions in the bag as well as how healthy the fish are when bagged. They will tell you that simply opening the bag which premits gas exchange one again is enough to kill off the fish. This is due to out gassing the co2, letting in the O which quickly raises the pH of the water and that in turn turns not toxic ammonia into toxic ammonia.

Rather than rehash this all over again since I have done it already on other threads on this site, I will leave folks with this piece of advice. The longer the fish have been in the bag, the mot important getting them out fast becomes. If there are dead fish in the bag, the even more important it becomes to get them rest into new clean water. Everybody can make their own decision how they want to acclimate, but it is a mistake to think drip acclimation is the only way or even the best way in all circumstances.

I have bought from liveaquaria.com to stock my tank.  I ordered 9 fish---7 lived..  They credit immediately for any dead on arrival or ones that die in 2 days.  They charge $35 for overnight shipping and use oxygen and heat packs for shipping in an insulated box.   Better selection than most LFS.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but fluttermouth and twotankamin bring up a interesting point between them. Like fluttermouth, I too have bought from kesgrave, trimar, and rare. Great service and wide varierty but just like twotankamin I don't open the bag. I simply check whats in the bag mostly by using the aquarium light, briefly, just so as I know what's in there and their condition. After that I plop the bag into my aquarium and leave for a hour, sometimes less and then catch and release them.

Glad the subject of acclimatisation has been brought up. I've only ever done it by putting the bag in the tank. Do you suppose it's more personal preference as to which one to use just like water changes I.e. Amount changed and how often ?

Just checked out www.tropicalfishbypost.co.uk and can't believe the prices. A pearl gourami for example is £5.99 where as in my LFS they are £4.50. Guess not everything on the internet is a bargain !

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back