Buying Bettas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

K.J.

LUK ITS A FUZBALL
Reaction score
Could someone explain how buying bettas from Thailand works? So far I think it goes:

Thailand to Transhipper <~5.00$?
Transhipper to us <~local shipping
Us?

Plus the price of bettas. And how much they normally cost, because I'm on a budget of 100$ for the betta... but I don't intend on spending it all on two bettas?

why don't you go for a u.s based seller? and maybe see if they are selling 2 - 3 pairs for a certain price? aquabid is ace.Ashame im in the uk.

www.ibcbettas.org and click on members sites. They have a few people selling thailand bettas that were bought, but the transhipper fee wasnt paid or some breeders sell fish they have spawned. You will get some quality bettas either way. I bought some thai bettas that werent picked up for 5 bucks each plus free shipping, she wanted to get rid of them....

It pays to shop.

There's only one person, and I really don't like him too much?

I'll try the website, thanks. Though my mom is a bit shady about buying from a forum.

Here's how it works:

1) You buy zee fish, and pay the breeder tha price of the fish and a small fee to have them shipped to the transhipper (I like the make the initiative of e-mailing the breeder instead of waiting for them to e-mail me, because they have a lot to keep track of). This is usually $5 or $6. It is so little because a lot of fish get shipped at the same time, so $5 per fish covers the shipping cost. Most breeders will ship to whatever transhipper you want, but some will only ship two or or two different ones. I have gone through Victorea Earnest for transhipping and have bought fish directly from Jennifer Vivieros... and I highly recommend either of them.
2) After I win a fish, I like to contact the transhipper I'll be using and let them know they're going to be receiving a fish I bought (with the breeder's name and whatnot). You pay the transhipper a few dollars in import fees, and the price of shipping from him/her to you.
3) I believe it's once per month, the huge shipment of fish leave the breeder's country and get sent to the transhipper. The transhipper picks up the fish from the airport, brings them home, unpacks them all, gives them all once-overs, provides a place for them to stay for the night (or however long it is before you've worked it out to receive them), and ships them out usually the next day.

All in all, it is quite easy after you've taken the plunge, and it only costs about $8 more per fish to get them from overseas vs. the US. Hopefully that helps. If you have any other questions I can try to answer them. :D

Well, the only one I found was LuvMyBetta. And the female selection is a bit bad, I was hoping for a pair... anything else.?

Great! So there's no extra charges for that way? Let me try an example: I buy from, lets say, Gorgeous on Aquabid. "Shipping cost from Thailand to in USA is 5 USD/fish" So I pay the transhipper 5$, and the local shipping costs from Seattle to here from Victoria, which is where she lives evidently, and I live about half a days drive from Seattle (would pick up, but the gasoline charges probably equal shipping charges) and I pay her the transhipping money + betta money + shipping charges? But to be completely honest. I want this guy. :D He's in VA, ironically, but by the time my tank is cycled he'll be gone I bet. Can't buy him now either, I bet. :sly: One final question. How many ozs are the jars you put the bettas in after they've hit puberty supposed to be? I've seen 32 advertised, but is that too small?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back